WineXpert Cab/Shiraz Kit - sour tasting - started it 3/9

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcasaccio

Reaction score
Hi just racked final time and plan to bottle mid August. I tasted some of the wine left in the sipon tube and its sour. Wine does not smell bad, just tastes gross. Is this just cause it's very young still?

I have been super anal about keeping everying thing carefully sterilized and clean. I have only racked when SG readings were within instruction ranges and stable for 2 days. I have fully degassed using the drill attachment and also suction. Am I just worrying about nothing? Please let me know.

Thanks

Jack

What you are tasting is what most nice big reds taste like when not done yet, let alone bottled. The will taste kind of sour at that stage. It is perfectly normal. You can drink the bit left over when you bottle- sometimes it tastes good, other times you wonder if it will be alright. Leave it to age about 6-12 months and it improves greatly- especially the Winexpert kits.

Many thanks! I wanted to assume it's ok, since it doesn't smell bad, but needed to be sure. Also, I am going to bottle in Aug - do I need to add kmet again before bottling, or can I just bottle at that time?

Thanks!

I bottled it up on 8/30. The 2-3 extra glasses worth did not go to waste- I am really excited about how good this will potentially be a year from now. What a cool hobby.....

I wouldn't want to sit and drink it yet. It was sharp. I am hoping and pretty sure it will get smoother in another 6-12 mos.

Back