WineXpert BUTTERY CHARD QUESTION

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know if you put them into the bottles to fast it infuses air into the wine...

bmorosco said:
I know if you put them into the bottles to fast it infuses air into the wine...

I'm thinking it was more this -- while I try to be careful to run the wine down the insides of the bottle, to lessen the chance of that, there was still a lot of foam -- more than I had seen in previous bottling sessions. That concerned me at the time, as did the fact that the bottles had been sitting for up to a half-hour before I began corking. George and I both thought, given the numerous stirrings of the lees, the numerous rackings, PLUS the scheduled (by the instructions) stirring to drive off CO2, that this was NOT a CO2 issue. Using the vacu-vin was just insurance!

Sure tastes good though!
smiley36.gif

I gave a bottle of my buttery chard to my MIL and she stuck it in the fridge and we noticed last night that it had formed a lot of bubbles in the bottle like OilnH20 described.

What disturbed me was that it looked like soap suds. Here are a few pics, but they do not do a good job of showing how sudsy it looked. When we picked the bottle up out of the fridge some of the bubbles dispersed into the wine I guess.

20070107_090954_IMG_0881.JPG
20070107_091040_IMG_0883.JPG

Anyway... opened the wine and it tasted fine and couldn't taste the bubbles so I'm figuring it's not C02. strange cause if I had introduced air into the bottling process I would have noticed the bubbles then eh?

Wow. That looks much different from the bubbles I had (see the earlier pictures) -- really more like foam than bubbles... you've got me stumped! Time to call in the experts!
smiley5.gif

if I shake the bottle I'll get bubbles that look like the pic you took, but the bubbles seem to be smaller if the wine is cold and produce the soap suds looking bubbles. I think it's just air

20070107_165938_100_1836_Small.jpg

Sang, This is a pic of mine revisited. I forget which wine it was but it was the only bottle out of 30 that did this....and I have to say it was quite good...tasted like Champagne. The cork had a nice pop and bubbled to the last drop.....Actually it was kind of a nice surprise. I checked the others that were left just to make sure I wouldn't come home to wine on the ceiling...they were ok....Weird but Cool.

Ramona

Looks and sounds like Champagne, must be Champagne! Maybe a little referm. in the bottle! What was Sg before bottling on this!

Wade,
Don't remember, I'd have to go back in the archives. But it was the only bottle that did that out of the same batch.

Ramona

I wouldn't mind a little bubbly bubbles forming, but I can't detect any CO2 feel - my wineis stillflat at this point. I'll have to keep monitoring and if it starts tasting with a sparkle then cool! (As long as I drink it before corks start popping)

Latest posts

Back