Bulk vs bottle aging?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shiloh

Junior
Reaction score
My first kit and I have a question regarding aging in bottle vs. bulk aging. I am doing a cab kit with skins and the kit calls for me to bottle at 42 days. Any advantage to aging in the carboy for longer than that? If so, how long should I go before racking to bottles? I have seen several references to bulk aging on some of the forums, therefor the question.

Shiloh, one of the main advantages of bulk aging in a carboy vs. a bottle is that in using the carboy, you will have a chance to make adjustments (sweetening, adjusting acid level, etc.) at the end before bottling. It is not uncommon for people to bulk age for 6 months to a year. Just be sure you have a good airlock in place, kept full of k-meta solution and coverthe carboy to keep the light out.

I highly encourage you to bulk age it for around 4 months after fermentation! Most if not all wines will continue to drop fine sediment even after using a fining agent and also bulk aging helps the wine even out so that every bottle tastes the same.

Shiloh, one of the main advantages of bulk aging in a carboy vs. a bottle is that in using the carboy, you will have a chance to make adjustments (sweetening, adjusting acid level, etc.) at the end before bottling. It is not uncommon for people to bulk age for 6 months to a year. Just be sure you have a good airlock in place, kept full of k-meta solution and coverthe carboy to keep the light out.

Thank you Rocky

I highly encourage you to bulk age it for around 4 months after fermentation! Most if not all wines will continue to drop fine sediment even after using a fining agent and also bulk aging helps the wine even out so that every bottle tastes the same.

Many thanks, good information.

Latest posts

Back