bulk vs bottle aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Green_Acres

Reaction score
what is the differences in aging wine in bottle vs bulk or is the any differences at all. sorry hit wrong button.

Last edited:
IMHO, The biggest difference is the amout of micro oxidation that occurs. In other words, wine mateurs faster in the bottle than in bulk. This can lead to a lot of sediment, however, so bulk aging (to a point) is a preferred way to go. I bulk age all wines 18 - 24 months before bottling.

John's correct. Bulk aging has less air to surface ratio so it will age slowly and greatly reduce the oxidation possibility. You will still have small amounts of sediment fall out over time and most would rather it not be in their bottle. Bulk aging takes up less space as well.

Bulk aging will give the wine alot more time for all the flavors to "mingle" . Also less resistant to temp swings. A bottle will change temp alot faster than 6 gal.

So neither is wrong, and there are advantages to each. Which is preferred?

Most would Bulk Age over bottling to early

Everyone that is bulk aging, are you using carboys, ( use better bottles with vodka in the airlock) I have to add vodka from time to time but not to bad. Does anyone stir there batches while they are bulk aging or do you just let them sit? also do you rack before you bottle or just go from your (bulk aging container) I let mine go other than when i need to move them around to get to something, and i just bottle straight from the bulk aging container. just wanted to see what others are doing?

Age in carboys. Whites and fruits 6 months. Reds a year or longer. Once racked for aging I just add water with pinch of sulfite in airlock and check on them from time to time. Some of my lids are loose fitting and evap. can occur.

I don't disturb the wine until I sweeten/sorbate. I'll rack at that time and bottle a month later.

Some wines (chardonnay) will improve with stirred up fine lees during aging.

I will rack at least a week before bottling if not sweetening just to mix the oak flavor that has been flavoring the wine during the year.

I age in carboys. I never bottle from one though. Rack into a bottling bucket. Like Steve said Fruits 6+ months Juice reds 12+months, Kits may not need that much aging...
Exception is Amarone from juice/grapes if you can get them. Age 12 months min. bottle then age more for 3 years. notice the date on Amarone? the cheapest is from 4 years ago.

I never age in carboys.
I want my carboys free for the next batch as soon as possible.

So when my wine is finished it is bottled as soon as posible, mostly within 3 to 5 months after the wine was started.

Indeed I believe that aging in a bottle makes the wine mature earlier.
But so what. Most of my wines are not made for saving anyhow.
Indeed I believe that wines are made for drinking and not for aging.

However I have had bottled elderberries that are now drinkable after 4 years in the crawling space beneath my house.

Anyhow. Bottle aging is what I do.

Luc

I've never read anything concrete that said one was better than the other (purely from a wine quality perspective).

It's one of those personal preference things. There isn't a right or wrong answer. It's just what works best for you!

I'm with Luc. I have five 6 gallon carboys, one 5 gallon, one 3 gallon and no room for any more. So I like to bottle ASAP so I can make more batches. Especially since I just started this hobby in June 2010 so I don't have anything that has aged yet. I need to build up a stock of wines for next year and the future!

Apparently, the consensus seems to be bulk aging and one of the reasons is less micro-oxygenation. I am curious to learn how we all you feel about micro-oxygenation or any kind of oxygenation. As long as you have the correct sulfite strength, what's wrong with oxygenation or what's right with it. I have come to believe that oxygen is not a bad thing if sulfite levels are adequate and/or correct and in fact, it is beneficial. I bulk age until I need another carboy. :b

See I've had good luck with oxygenation. I actually used it on my first batch on purpose. I wanted it to be drinkable early, and it was within a month. But I did have it capped in a 1 gal carboy, so it wasn't alot of oxygen. And before someone gasps, I had to get something "decent" and drinkable fast so hubby would let me get more supplies. LOL! It worked. The other reason I did it was because of bad information, at the time I didn't know it was so risky. But I won't do it again that's for sure.

I bulk age in VC SS tanks and 54 liter demijohns. I normally let the wine buld age for 18 to 24 months. The only reason I bottle is to free up the equipment for the next year's crush.

johnT.

Latest posts

Back