Bulk Aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bergmann

Reaction score
I have several wines in carboys, that were started in in September and October. they have been cold stabilized, racked and sitting for about a month. There is absolutely no Co2 in them. would it be okay to bottle or should I bulk age longer? Does bulk aging make much more difference than aging in the bottle? If so what difference.

Is the wine from a kit, juice, fruit?
White or red?
Did you degas or let c02 leave naturally?
Do you need to bottle it(obviously for drinking yes but are you going to start new batches)?
Aging in the carboy topped up will affect the wine less due to temperature variations and other factors.

No kits, Some fruit, some Grape. Don't need the carboys have 27. Wine cellar temperature controlled no swings, Just going away for 3 months and was thinking of bottling before I went. It really makes no difference to me, I just like my winery left neat. Evaporation not a factor, have waterless airlocks. Co2 gone naturally.

What factors?

With the absence of temp swings the only thing real thing you would gain from bulk aging is not having to resist the temptation of grabbing a bottle here and there.
That being said, if you're leaving for 3 months you run a slight risk of a number of things, like the airlock running dry or something stupid like that. Nothing can go wrong at this point if you bottle so that's what I would do.

I would think you would have noticeable amount of fallout still happening. This would be sentiment in the bottle, vs being at the bottom of your carboy.

I would bottle half the carboys and leave the others as is. 3+ months hence, after examination and tasting, I'd be the subject expert on the forum having had actual experience. Hows that for a game theory polish logic solution/answer too your query? ;)

I would let them set, it has only been about 4 to 5 months since you started. I like to let mine go for at least 9 months before bottling and you should only be racking once every three months. Since you are using waerless airlocks you really have nothing to worry about.

Obviously there are as many opinions as there are wines. All things having been done according to accepted winemaking procedures, the choice is yours without any adverse effects. Bottle up,, make it neat,,, or leave them set and gain some additional clearing time. IMHO, time is still the best winemaking tool!!! LOL

Oxidative aging occurs in bulk, reductive aging in the bottle. Both have different chemical reactions that affect the aging wine. Research and decide---don't want to miss out on oxidative reactions

How does one control the exposure to Oxygen to so it can become Oxidative, without it going being oxidized? What are the indicators of the breaking point?

Can one determine the amount of nuttiness imparted into the wine by being Oxidative? I tend to find too much of a good thing to be a bad thing.

I would let them set, it has only been about 4 to 5 months since you started. I like to let mine go for at least 9 months before bottling and you should only be racking once every three months. Since you are using waerless airlocks you really have nothing to worry about.

Thanks Julie!

Latest posts

Back