Bulk aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbwii

Reaction score
Ok I am now at the stage of my kit (Grand Cru Merlot) where I should be bottling (i.e. day 28ish) but I decided that I want to bulk age for 2-3 months before bottling. I racked into a fresh carboy to get rid of all of the sediment at the bottom but I must've messed up because immediately after I finished I noticed quite a bit of sediment already at the bottom of the new carboy. Questions:

1. Should I re-rack back into the other carboy (which I have already cleaned and sanitized) being more careful to leave the sediment behind?

2. Should I add kmeta and if so how much and do I just add it in powder form or make a solution first?

Ok I am now at the stage of my kit (Grand Cru Merlot) where I should be bottling (i.e. day 28ish) but I decided that I want to bulk age for 2-3 months before bottling. I racked into a fresh carboy to get rid of all of the sediment at the bottom but I must've messed up because immediately after I finished I noticed quite a bit of sediment already at the bottom of the new carboy. Questions:

1. Should I re-rack back into the other carboy (which I have already cleaned and sanitized) being more careful to leave the sediment behind?

2. Should I add kmeta and if so how much and do I just add it in powder form or make a solution first?

nbwii,

It's not unusual to rack a little sediment after clarification stage. If you planned to bulk age anyway there is really no need to rack again at this time. If you added k-meta during the stabilizing step you should be ok for now.
I would put a bung and airlock on the carboy and let it age in a dark cool place for 2-3 months. Then rack off of additional sediment that will probably fall out over this period. You might want to put a block under one side of your CB so the sediment settles mostly to one side.
At this time you may want to add some k-meta and bulkage additional time or go ahead and bottle.
Good Luck
LOUMIK

Back