Mosti Mondiale Bulk Aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uavwmn

Reaction score
To Everyone~ I am going to try out the bulk aging with my MM Caberlot for a couple of months.
Do I rack in to another carboy? I had a 1/4t of k-meta?

If you have racked recently and added k-meta also, you don't need to do either. If it drops more sediment after a month or so, you could rack then, check S02 level and adjust if needed.

Appleman, that was my first rack. I should leave it on the lees, add the k-meta and let it sit for 2 months? How would you check the S02?

You can leave it on the fine lees. Just make sure there isn't a thick layer. If there is, I would rack off that, otherwise you are good to go.
To check S02 levels, get an Accuvin test for it(simple little vial thing).
Follow the directions for bulk aging Mosti has and you will be in good shape!

Appleman, I am guessing there is probably a 1/2" of lees at the bottom. Is that too much?

I will get the Accuvin from George.

I will be curious to see if there is a difference in bulk aging vs bottle aging, as this is what I have done with all my kits so far.
smiley4.gif

If you have good cellar conditions then bulk aging wont make a big difference. The main difference is the ability to keep temps more stable as its harder to raise or lower the temp of 6 gallons vs. 750 ml.

Wade, we don't have cellars here in AZ.
smiley36.gif
I think most of us use a spare bedroom as the "cellar".
I am going to give this bulk aging thing a try. With the caberlot and the pinomer.

BTW, I ordered one of the Winemaker's Toolkits from George this week.
I am curious to see if this wine will be drinkable by Thanksgiving. The Cab.

1/2 inch might be a bit more than you want in it. It is probably a judgement call at this point. If it looks like too much to leave in there for extended aging, it may be. Mosti says you can leave some in there for bulk aging to add complexity to the wine, so a little won't likely hurt it at all.

Thanks Appleman. I think I will rack to a 6 gal carboy, top off with a cab and let it sit for 2 months.

One more question, with these blend kits, when I top off, does it matter which 1/2 of the blend I top off with? Ex: Caberlot.......top off with a Cab or a merlot?

I would top up with whatever wine you like better as that will be the flavor profile more dominant although if not much is needed then it most likely wont make a difference.

Appleman, my pinomer was in the primary for 8 days. I racked to carboy yesterday and the s.g. was .992. Is that too low? Should I leave it sit for the 8 to 10 days as the instructions say? Or should I rack again and go to the next step? I am concerned about the sg being that low while in the primary. The room was a constant 77 degrees.

If it is in a carboy under airlock, just follow the directions from here out. It doesn't hurt being that low. There is still a lot of gas in it and it had formed a gas layer blanket helping protect it.

Latest posts

Back