Bulk Aging racking question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarpon230

Reaction score
When bulk aging how often do you rack? I was planning on bulk aging a juice bucket of Cab from Cali for 6 months. I was thinking about racking after 3 months. Then again before bottling. I'm I on the right track?

Others will say different, but I usually wait til I have a 3/4 inch layer or so of lees falling out. If the layer doesn't form, I usually won't rack it. If I am going to sweeten it, I usually put the k-meta and sorbate in the bottom of a clean carboy and rack onto it. Then wait a week or two and sweeten, wait another week or two to make sure it doesn't referment and bottle. Just my way, Arne.

I think its more a question of sediment than time. If there isn't any (or very little) sediment, there's not much reason to rack.

After putting my wine into bulk aging, I don't rack again until I bottle. The amount of sediment is usually minimal (less than 1/4") so at bottling, I rack to a clean carboy and fill from there. Lately, I have been running my reds through a 5 micron filter and my whites through a 1 micron filter into the "clean" carboy and then bottling. I don't think there is a danger of leaving it on the sediment unless there is an awful lot of it. Some schools of thought are that this is actually improves the wine.

Tarpon ... Once diamonds drop out of solution they will not re-incorporate.

Not necessarily true. Although it is difficult for the potassium bitartrate to redissolve in the wine just sitting it can happen. Especially if the wine warms up or is diluted with water (topped up). I would rack off of tartrates earlier rather than later.

Back