RJ Spagnols Bulk aging a Winery Super Tuscan

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keahunter

Reaction score
I'm a newbie (figured I would put that out there right away) with one kit under my belt. My second kit, which is now in primary, is the Super Tuscan. The instructions say to bottle after day 42 but after reading a bunch on this forum it seems that bulk aging is the way to go. Excuse me if this has been asked before but, is the included k-meta enough for bulk aging or should I add more at some point? Thank you!

What came with the kit is enough for now.
In 3 to 4 to 6 months (depending on who you ask) when you rack again add what the directions indicate. I think it is 1/2 tsp per 6 gallon.

I think it is 1/2 tsp per 6 gallon.

I believe most instructions that comment on bulk aging suggest 1/4 tsp per six gallons of wine. I do 1/4 tsp after every three or four months of bulk aging making sure one of the additions is just prior to bottling.

I believe most instructions that comment on bulk aging suggest 1/4 tsp per six gallons of wine. I do 1/4 tsp after every three or four months of bulk aging making sure one of the additions is just prior to bottling.

1/4, 1/2...."whatever it takes". (thanks Mr Mom!)

I just added some last night, and I can not remember what it called for.
I know it was less than the Sorbate, which was 3/4.

But some directions call for 1/8 teaspoon (1 gram) of powder per gallon of wine

I want to commend you on your decision to age the wine, you will be happy in the long run, but that said.... Folks, do yourself a favor and do not "Guesstimate" how much you need to add, test the wine and add what is necessary. Why spend all the time and money making wine, only to potentially ruin it by adding what you think it needs.
To answer your question, no if you plan on bulk aging, you will need to add more meta.

I do the exact same thing. The last addition is when I bottle. I try to but many times I wasn't able and so we let it sit for another three months until the next addition. That is how I ended up with over 10 kits still ageing.

Latest posts

Back