Built a wine press

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winofarmer

Confused Rookie
Reaction score
Got instructions and hardware off Ebay for this press turned out great,I am going to be pressing apricotts,peaches,pears and grapes...any advice for this first time presser ???

2013-07-15 19.11.51.jpg

Very nice job! When I first looked at it I thought the plates were some kind of wheels for it. By the way, the pool looks like a real beauty on a day like today also.

Thanks didn't think of that but now that I am a expert at cutting circles on a table saw I could add wheels !!!

That's awesome! I thought they were wheels too. What a great idea.

Can't imagine how many hours you put in that thing. Nice job. About the only major difference between yours and a comercially made one I have is there is a grinder attched to mine. Chops up the apples, pears, anything kind of hard so you can press the juice out of them. Looks like yours should do the job. Let us know how it works when you get to using it. Get some strong straining bags to hold the fruit. I had a homade one that blew out when I pressed it, but if I remember right the paint straining bags worked. Mine came with a bag that is really strong and has lasted for years. Arne.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, JohnT and Arne thanks for the tips I will be trying it out soon !!!

Very nice looking press. Let us know how it goes. I just bought a press on Craigs List and I'm going to make a mango wine and hard cider with mine. Bakervinyard

Nice press! How much time do you think you have in it? Can you share the link from EBay?

Nice press! How much time do you think you have in it? Can you share the link from EBay?

It comes with fairly easy to follow instructions and I have maybe 10 hours total,hardest part for me was cutting the circle press boards after a failed attempt with a jig saw I researhed how to cut a circle on my table saw and it turned out well...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/APPLE-CIDER...690?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256e11da3a

or just go to ebay and search fruit press and look for seller volpex1 he has everything from indivdual parts to the complete press.

I learned a trick when I built mine. Melt 4oz of beeswax in 1 pint of mineral oil to make a butter like consistency sealant. I haven't got to put it to the real test yet but is seems to hold up better than straight mineral oil.
either way both will do the job.
I have never thought of cutting circles on the table saw, that must be an art that I just have to see done sometime!

I learned a trick when I built mine. Melt 4oz of beeswax in 1 pint of mineral oil to make a butter like consistency sealant. I haven't got to put it to the real test yet but is seems to hold up better than straight mineral oil.
either way both will do the job.
I have never thought of cutting circles on the table saw, that must be an art that I just have to see done sometime!

Google cutting circles with a table saw,it works great...

Shellac is a food grade finish. Used in lots of candies. I would think you could use it to seal the wood on a press.

Back