bugs

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mixed some water dawn white vinegar and a little sugar made the trap and that cleared mine up. in a few days all them little bastards were swimming with the fishes

You do not have to mix the liquid dawn soap at all. Just drop the drops in there and let it sit. It will do its thing all on its own.

They are commonly called fruit flies because of their affinity for fruit (flies that like dead cactus are cactus flies, etc.) and yes, they can carry the vinegar bacteria but do not always do so.

The biological name is Drosophila melanogaster, and they have a genomic match for about 75% of human disease genes. Geneticists love them as study subjects because a generation takes just 2 weeks and the research results can correlate to humans.

I just did an article on Drosophila melanogaster diet research at our university.

http://www.uah.edu/news/research/62...-affect-our-offspring-s-vitality#.UelAzxbvwuA

That's a very interesting article. I'm not sure I like being that genetically close to a fruit fly. No wonder they like to hang in my kitchen. They think I'm their relative.

mikey1273, you may have solved my problem. I like very dry wine, and that is what I was adding Dawn to. I'm going to try mixing a little sugar in before the Dawn and see if that gives me any better results. I had never thought that my wine wasn't good enough for the little fruit flies, but it really makes sense.

thanks for the inspiration.

Pam in cinti

I have used dried pineapple with pretty good results in the past. But after reading the vinegar/Dawn cocktail I had to see if it worked. Just my luck I had some bananas going bad and a fresh influx of the little buggars. OMG! 1/4 apple cider vinegar and few drops of Dawn and 2 hours later I had a dead herd. I was amazed! I use mason jars with a paper cone. I like them because they don't take up much space and I can easily clean them out.

Left one was taken at 4:22 and the second at 6:20.

bugs.jpg

LoneStarLori said:
I have used dried pineapple with pretty good results in the past. But after reading the vinegar/Dawn cocktail I had to see if it worked. Just my luck I had some bananas going bad and a fresh influx of the little buggars. OMG! 1/4 apple cider vinegar and few drops of Dawn and 2 hours later I had a dead herd. I was amazed! I use mason jars with a paper cone. I like them because they don't take up much space and I can easily clean them out.

Left one was taken at 4:22 and the second at 6:20.

It works just fine without the cone. They are going to dive bomb that vinegar cuz they think its a rotten apple! The cone just slows em down.

cintipam said:
mikey1273, you may have solved my problem. I like very dry wine, and that is what I was adding Dawn to. I'm going to try mixing a little sugar in before the Dawn and see if that gives me any better results. I had never thought that my wine wasn't good enough for the little fruit flies, but it really makes sense.

thanks for the inspiration.

Pam in cinti

Dry wine probably won't cut it. You need apple cider vinegar (costs less than $5 for a whole gallon) or actively fermenting wine. It's the spoiled fruit smell they are attracted to. The sugar and water is unnecessary also. Apple cider vinegar works better than anything else I've tried. Mixing is unnecessary as well. Just put half a cup of apple cider vinegar out in an open container and drop 2 drops of dawn soap in it, be careful not to drip soap on the sides, take a deep breath, and walk away. Pour it out and start over again after 3-5 days. No sugar, no cones, no water, no mixing necessary.

Last edited:
They are commonly called fruit flies because of their affinity for fruit (flies that like dead cactus are cactus flies, etc.) and yes, they can carry the vinegar bacteria but do not always do so.

The biological name is Drosophila melanogaster, and they have a genomic match for about 75% of human disease genes. Geneticists love them as study subjects because a generation takes just 2 weeks and the research results can correlate to humans.

I just did an article on Drosophila melanogaster diet research at our university.

http://www.uah.edu/news/research/62...-affect-our-offspring-s-vitality#.UelAzxbvwuA
Holy Crap! who knew!!

Latest posts

Back