Bud Break

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grapeman

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No I don't have bud break here, but I was wondering if any of you fellars in warmer climates have noticed any bud swell orfurther there yet?

I wish! Yesterday started as a beautiful day, then as the day progressed, it started to snow and we woke up this morning to 8" of the white stuff.

For those who don't know, Vancouver, BC, gets very little snow as we are right on the pacific and it tends to regulate our temps making it neither hot nor really cold. The fact that it's snowing in March is very disturbing to me. If there was bud swell, the vines are damn confused now. Our temps are predicted to be in the 30s all this week, when we should be in the 50s.

Bud break for aout a week now in the Cabernet and Blanc Du Bois. The Cynthiana is just starting to look "interested". We had a near 2 inch rain this week which will help immensely, but we are still technically in a severe drought.

I know y'all are talking about grapes, but I was out in the garden yesterday and a couple of my hops have some 2" vines poking out of the ground. Spring is almost here!!!

I can't help myself... I had aBud break or two this past weekend while I was washing the boat.

Sorry... Back to regularly scheduled programming.
smiley9.gif

Here is a picture of some of mine that rrawhide sent me. I will be putting these out before long

IMG_3177.jpg

I've got some "bud fuzz" but like Dean, things are confusing at this time of year! We've had 50* afternoons in the last week, high 20s-low 30s* (<32*)for overnight lows, and two mornings woke up to <1 inch and just over an inch of snow overnight! But it's melted by mid-morning because of sun!
smiley36.gif

Such a confusing time of year
smiley5.gif

Makes me glad that Spring officially begins tomorrow! I'm sure that will make a difference!
smiley36.gif

(Waldo: good lookin' starts! What's cookin' - Muscadines? )

What grapes are those Waldo?? Looking good there. I have great runners on the vines I planted as you all saw. I need to cut back the weaker runners and I was hoping to be able to plant them. Any advice on rooting these cuttings I'm going to have to make?

I also had a couple possible elderberry offshoots. I had a root that was broken, but might bud, I planted it. There was a small shoot I was able to plant and it looks like its going to grow. So I might have an extra Nova and an Adams to plant later on.

Latest posts

Back