Bubbles in Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kandy

Reaction score
Good morning. I finished a kit, Washington Riesling about six weeks ago. My daughter opened the first bottle over the weekend, poured it into her glass, and asked me "Why is it so hazy"? When I looked at the glass, the wine was clear, but it was full of bubbles, tiny little bubbles, they floated to the top and were gone. The wine itself tasted great - not too sweet.

It was almost like Champagne bubbles - but they went away. What causes these bubbles? I'm hoping some of you experts can answer my question. I've completed many many kits successfully and have never had this issue - I have no clue what the cause is.

What yeast went into the kit? Second, did you let it finish fermenting before bottling? Third, were there stabilizers in the kit? I guess my basic question is, what kit did you use?

I don't recall what type of yeast was in the kit. I believe it had finished fermenting, no change in SG for at least 3-4 days and yes it was degassed per directions within the kit. The directions call for adding one ingredient, degas two minutes, add another and degas another 2 minutes. I typically degas a good 3 minutes each time to ensure proper degassing.

The kit was a World Vineyard Washington Riesling. I added all ingredients included in the kit (can't recall what they were) but the kit was complete. This is the first time this has happened and it's puzzling for me.

Do I need to worry about popping corks with this wine?

Just curious did u degas by hand or using a drill attachment?

Making wine in South Texas since March 2014

Posting so I don't forget to check this. I knew I had bottled my Shiraz a little young but needed the carboy. Had a bottle this weekend and had the same thing, good taste, not fizzy, but could see those little bubbles. Really hope stuff doesn't start popping when the temps warm up!

I always use the drill attachment when I degas (just stirring with a spoon isn't going to get the job done).

Hate to say it, but those degassing instructions (2 minutes, twice) are laughably inadequate.

Here is the advice I gave on another thread:

I think you shouldn't count on bottling so quickly, because it will take a bit of time to get enough of the gas out. One test if you have gotten enough out is to take a small container, say, the tube you do your SG testing in. Fill it halfway, cap it with your hand, shake, then put it next to your ear when you release your hand. If you hear anything, like a puff, then you have too much gas.

It is a LOT easier to get the gas out when the wine is at 75 F or more. I think if you get it to temperature, stir the hell out of it for two days, then let it sit for a week, it should be okay.

Thanks Grapes - So, what you are saying is that I should either dump all of my bottles and degas again, drink it quickly, or risk it? What would cause the gassy wine to blow the top? Would it just be an increase in temperature or are there other factors?

Thanks!

I am no expert. However, I don't think there is any risk of blowing the corks with the situation you describe. The only factor I know of that could do that is an increase in temperature. (This assumes no refermentation, which I believe is accurate in your case.)

I don't know why you would have to drink it quickly. I see no harm in it sitting with dissolved gas.

Whether to dump and degas again or not really depends on your taste for bubbly Riesling! Another option is to just decant/degas each bottle as you open it. (Of course, with a chilled wine, its harder to get the gas out.) You could try with one of those hand-held Vacuvins and see if you have any success.

Back