Vineco Brunello weird Clearing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBechthold

Junior
Reaction score
Started an Italian Brunello (Founder's series) 5 weeks ago. Followed instructions to a T. Smells great, looks good.

Weird thing though. After adding the two packs of Chitosan, almost immediately after adding and stirring, there was little chunkies floating in the wine swirling around. I poured the chitosan over top of the foam, so it is possible maybe that caused it.

I am wondering if anyone else has seen this or if you can replicate this. Just weird. I am not too worried, I am sure nothing is wrong.

:db peanut butta jelly time (had to, icon is awesome)

Did you add Kieselsol and if so, when did you add it? Would it be possible for you to take a close up photo of the floaties and post it here? Thanks.

Did you add Kieselsol and if so, when did you add it? Would it be possible for you to take a close up photo of the floaties and post it here? Thanks.

Added only chitosan according to markings on the baggies.
Close up photo would have been smart. They are no visible, I am guessing because they've settled out. But think of something about the size of a donut sprinkle.

Did you by chance add anything just before adding the fining agents? Sulfite, Sorbate? Perhaps some of that didn't get fully dissolved and then got encapsulated with the Chitosan.

Added only chitosan according to markings on the baggies.
Close up photo would have been smart. They are no visible, I am guessing because they've settled out. But think of something about the size of a donut sprinkle.

Potassium sorbate usually looks like white donut sprinkles.

Steve

Exactly

Potassium sorbate usually looks like white donut sprinkles.

Steve

YES! Exactly. But, I dissolved my sorbate in 1/2 cup water before adding to the wine, then I mixed it for 2 minutes with my drill rod. So, it seems unlikely it is sorbate crystals. BUT, it is definitely about that size.

Latest posts

Back