Wine clearing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Weird thing happened. I am in the process of completing my 1.5 gallon batch of peach wine. Back sweetened and it tastes pretty good. Zero and I mean zero re-fermentation. K-meta and K-sorb in. I added kieselsol and it cleared marvelously. After 4hrs I added the Chitosan, and instructions said stir for 20 secs. Sure, after a day or so sediment settled to the bottom, not 'fluffy' but more of a slurry. But it's no longer crystal clear.
Options :
  1. Wait till it clears on its own (but has to be bottled before 1st week of Christmas as they are gifts)
  2. Add another dose of Kieselsol alone. Does it even work by itself, has something that Chitosan needs to neutralize?
  3. Go through the duo clearing process again, and hope for the best?
Would appreciate any and all advice. Thx.

You left out how long ago you added your fining agents.

1) Patience. It can take 2 days to 2 months to clear depending on the wine.
2) Did you fully degas the wine? Does it have CO2 still? CO2 will keep a wine from clearing.
3) Is the wine warm? Keep it 72-74F. Wine clearing is a chemical reaction. Chemical reactions go faster at warmer temps than colder temps. CO2 will leave a solution faster at warmer temps than colder temps. Think open Coke left out on the counter top vs in the fridge. Which one do you think will go flat first?

I de-gassed the wine as much as I could, by stirring it vigorously with my long handled ladle before adding the fining agents. The carboys sit in my pantry on a a rack, so room temp. I did move my 1 gallon to a small bar fridge because of a prior experience. My first foray into wine making was with pineapples. That was a resounding success. I added the fining agents, and the wine cleared marvelously. I had put a bottle in the refrigerator for personal enjoyment, and I noticed a small amount of sediment gathered after a couple of days, which was not visible in bottles stored in the bottle carton. I thought this was something akin to cold crashing (thought the fermentation had stopped, wine treated, racked mutiple times Yada Yada yada). So I thought this gallon might clear faster as well. But now it's back on the shelf.

Plot twist. There was a bit left over after the final racking into the 1.5 gallons after back sweetening, before the addition of fining agents. I had left with that in a clean sanitized jar, with a ton of head space. Forgotten till yesterday. It had cleared up crystal clear with sediment at the bottom, and tastes different. Mellow with a subtle aroma of peaches, while the one with the fining agents tastes very bright, and full bodied peach aroma. Now I'm totally confused.

protein haze with peach wine can be a diffident , I suggest repeating the double dose fining agent. they can be put in one after the other without waiting time.

Latest posts

Back