2 years later still "acidic" WinExpert Australian Cabernet Sauvignon Kit w/ Grape Skins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhopkins

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like to redeem a WinExpert Australian Cabernet Sauvignon Kit with Grape Skins I did 22 months ago. I held back 12 bottles and finally opened one last night and was disappointed that it was still quite sharp/acidic. I covered the end of the bottle with my thumb and gave it a brisk shake ... 3/4 inch of bubbles appeared. Evidently I did not degass enough when making the batch.

Instructions included: "wine can be degassed using a drill with degassing attachment for 2-4 minutes at medium speed reversing direction every 30 seconds." I went beyond this and stirred with a drill for 6 mins (alternating every 30 seconds) after adding K-meta and Sorbate; and then another 3 mins after adding Chitosan.

I don't want to wait another 2 years and hope for the best. Am thinking to maybe pour the bottles back into a 3-gallon carboy, vacuum degass, then bottle again immediately. Thoughts?

Thanks for any counsel on redeeming this wine, Mark

Was the wine OK after you shook it? Did that taste go away? Did you decant to make sure it was fully degassed?
It was slightly better after shaking. Better yet when I let it sit 15-20 mins to open up. I thought about decanting, but did not take that step. Thanks for engaging in the dialogue. I look forward to insight you might offer.

I think you redeem it by opening it up, pouring it into a decantor and splashing while pouring to release that CO2 that is trapped. Back before I vacuum racked, I never could get all that I wanted to out. It is really hard, perhaps impossible, with just stirring.
Thanks ... I'll give it a try!

Interestingly enough, I'm bulk aging this kit right now (since July). I didn't add any of the finishers or clearing agents, just some pota meta. I can't recall whether or not my directions said to degass or not but I used the drill and stirring stick just long enough until the bubbles flowing to the top turned into smaller bubbles. I knew the CO2 would go away on it's own during the bulk aging stage but it seems degassing, even when bulk aging, seems to be the only thing that requires much detail when bulk aging other than adding pota meta, proper headspace, and storing the wine appropriately. I'll update once my wine is ready to bottle.

Back