Brown sugar?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColemanM

Reaction score
Ok so this might be a stupid question, just kidding, it's brilliant, I just love when people preface their questions like that. :) here's my dilemma. I had 14 pounds of raspberries and 10 pounds of sugar. The recipe called for 15 of raspberries and 12 of sugar. My mixed total with the berries in primary was 5.1 gallons and a SG of 1.100 my question is I am 1 gallon of water and 2 pounds of sugar short of the recipe. Would it mess with the flavor profile if I used brown sugar instead of granulated sugar? I also don't want to dilute the raspberry flavor so maybe I should leave well enough alone? Then again I could always throw some brandy or ever clear at it at 1.03 and toss it in my Vadai? Choices choices. Thanks.

Brown sugar is made by mixing molasses with sugar. You may get some of that molasses taste in your wine. If that's ok, go for it.

Like mmadmikes1 said, leave it alone. Do not ever add the amount of sugar that the person who posted the recipe used. Always use your hydrometer and always shoot for a specific sg, personally I would not have gone over 1.090 but what you have is ok.

I wouldn't think it would make a good fit for raspberry though; I would thin the batch out to the appropriate volume you're shooting for, then take a SG measurement. Note how far away it is from where you wish it was, provided you had all the sugar, then start your fermentation per-normal.

Pick up some more sugar in the next day or two, figure out how much you need to add, and then step-feed it into the fermentation

Greg... Yeah I was wondering if it would affect the flavor, that's a good point to make.

Madmike.. I was kind of thinking the same thing. To me that's a good SG.

Kraffty... Those sound like excellent choices for brown sugar. You reminded me of the Glenfiddich ad with a carmelized baked apple and a cinnamon stick. Might have to have a few days off of wine :)

Julie... That's a very good point. Everyone has different tastes and recipes are a great "starting" point. But at this time I don't feel very confident about winging it. I mostly do kits, but I had saved these raspberries for a winter wine making breakdown. And I hit it!!

Deezil... You are probably right on the pairing of tastes. And I think I will go with your add water then steep feed the appropriate amount of sugar needed. Heck I am in grocery stores every day of the week, why not pick up some sugar? Should I go for the 1.090 that Julie suggested or should I stay in the 1.100 range that I am in now. 13.8?

Thanks everyone for your input!!

1.085 - 1.090 will give you enough alcohol to keep it from spoiling, but not so hot that it affects the flavor of the wine. It will be easier to focus on balancing acidity and sweetness with the flavor profile, when the alcohol isn't also competing so strongly as well.

If you add water, add frozen berries. Raspberry flavor is kinda light and hard to maintain. I always add simmer down berries and add at end. Original question. Brown sugar is not good with raspberries been there hated it

Ha! Good madmike, I don't have to make your mistake now :) are you saying to back sweeten with a raspberry reduction or something of that sort? I guess it would make the flavor POP!

Thank you deezil for the SG guidance. I wasn't really thinking of the "hot" aspect as much as the "I am short on the ingredients" angle. I think I will get more fruit and sugar, go to 4 gallons of water and adjust to .085-90.

Yes a reduction is what I should have said. Dont forget to use pectic enzyme in the reduction

The easiest way to see if you like the combination of raspberries and brown sugar, is maybe boil some raspberries down as Mike suggested and add a little brown sugar, see what you think, you may like it, my better judgement says no, but like you stated, different folks have different tastes.
I add brown sugar to my hard cider, it gives it just enough flavor to compliment the apple , but again, we are use to that flavor profile from apple pies.
I will agree with leaving the SG at 1.100, personally, this may be a bit too "hot" for raspberry to be honest, I'd dilute it down to 1.090 at the very minimum, the high Alcohol will over power the delicate flavor of the raspberry to the point that it may even strip it of some flavor, you want a nice balance, trust me, I made this mistake, when you have 5 gallons of red colored rocket fuel that has no distinguishing flavors, you wont make that same mistake twice.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips guys. I will dilute to 1.090 because I a) should and b) the recipe called for 5 campden tablets. Guess what isn't fermenting right now?so when I get home I will sterilize another fermenter and toss back and forth a few times. Adjust SG and go from there. See you all in about 6 months. Thanks.

I'd love to see your complete recipe because I'll bet it is a residual sugar recipe, designed to start high and leave sugar behind when the yeast die off.

What yeast does it specify?

Most folks here don't do residual sugar recipes.

It called for côte des blancs yeast. I was @1 gallon short on the water but 2 pounds short on sugar. I added 1/2 gallon just now and brought it down to 1.090 so would expect it to be 1.090 with original recipe. The recipe was from winemaker mag June-July 2012 issue.

Your yeast type says it all! It is indeed a residual sugar recipe. I would have followed it to a "T."

If you have the time, I would love to see the full recipe. Maybe you can scan it or type it in here, or PM me with it. I like residual recipes. They work very well with fruit, too.

Sorry to keep you waiting Jim... Here's the recipe.
15 lbs raspberries
12 lbs corn sugar
4 gallons water
2.5 tsp yeast nutrient
2.5 tsp pectic enzyme
5 campden tablets (initially)
9 tsp tartaric acid
5 grams red star côte des blancs yeast

Latest posts

Back