Brewing from home grown grapes.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark walton

Junior
Reaction score
Hi, I have enough grapes to produce 2 gallons of wine. Can I use a 5 gallon barrel, or is it better to use two 1 gallons jars?

Welcome to WMT!

For fermentation, use an open container as yeast need O2 for reproduction in the early stage of fermentation.

Post-fermentation, O2 switches sides, becoming your wine's enemy as it will oxidize the wine, so you want to put it in smaller containers with minimal head space.

Hi, I have enough grapes to produce 2 gallons of wine. Can I use a 5 gallon barrel, or is it better to use two 1 gallons jars?
The size of the Fermenter is not important as you would be using open fermentation, so IMHO, a 5 gallon bucket would be OK. You would need the head room to push down the grape skins (if making red). After the fermentation, put it into two 1-gallon carboys, or a 2 gallon one (if you have it) with the wine up to the neck for minimum oxygen. put a bung(Cork) with an airlock. Test the SG. If good. let it sit for 2-4 weeks. then taste it.

Latest posts

Back