Brew Belt

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbrad701

Junior
Reaction score
What will happen if the brew belt is left on longer than the recommended eight days or the SG goes below 1.010? I'm at 1.020 and on the eighth day now.

What is the temp of your carboy? And what sg did you start at?

What will happen if the brew belt is left on longer than the recommended eight days or the SG goes below 1.010? I'm at 1.020 and on the eighth day now.

I have 2 brew belts and I leave them on the whole time for the primary and the secondary. I don't worry about how many days it has been. I do monitor the temp though. I have my belts on 5-6 gallon batches so the temps never really go that high 70-78 deg.

I would not worry @ 8days. As long as air gets around the belt = no problem. I had mine on 9 days so far. Checking temp as I write

I only use one belt per carboy and never had a problem leaving them on an extended period of time. Get yourself a cheap laser thermometer from Habor freight when they have them on sale. Sure makes things a lot easier and quicker.

I only use one belt per carboy and never had a problem leaving them on an extended period of time. Get yourself a cheap laser thermometer from Habor freight when they have them on sale. Sure makes things a lot easier and quicker.

I only use one per carboy also. I guess you could read that I use both but that is not what I meant... LOL

Harbor Freight around my area has them on sale right now. Think there 29.95 or something like that. They work great!

Yes, they are a handy little gizmo. I also use the stick on strip thermometers, one on each carboy. They tell you the temp at a glance and at about a buck fifty apiece are very affordable.

I have mine on my pee right now and was having trouble getting above 70F so added a towel around and now with the belt 1/4 way up I have had it up to 80 where I unplugged for a short while. Hard to regulate without a temp sensor and relay and fighting the programmable house t-stat. From 58F @ night to 68F daytime it swings well. I do love a brew belt tho. I could also move higher on the bucket to help daytime highs. Midwest has these in there catalog for 17.95, if close drive over. Typically only use till primary is done fermenting, regardless of time.

I did the apple cider recipe that is posted under the recipe section by Monica. I'll have to check the temp when I get home from work tonight. I think the sg was around 1.100 (don't have my notes to look at). This is still in primary. I've been a little skeptical about putting the belt around a carboy. Would I have to wrap a towel or something around the carboy before putting the belt on? Thanks for all the replies.

Harbor Freight around my area has them on sale right now. Think there 29.95 or something like that. They work great!

Keep in mind taking a reading on the carboy or bucket is a few degrees off but thats ok. If you need it exact, pop off the bung and shoot the liquid.:pee

Back