WineXpert Bravado Super Tuscan

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So when you are wrong, you're wrong...and I was wrong about the Bravado. Cracked a bottle tonight and aired out as instructed. Wine is one month shy of a two year old and has put on its big boy britches. Going to get better with age and still have 28 bottles left. Guess that's the rainbow for not liking a young and underwhelming wine.

The Bravado, which started around Thanksgiving 2016, and bottled a few months ago, turns two this fall. Still have 30 bottles, might give one a shot for its 2 year bday or so. Maybe even send one to @Ajmassa5983 in our fall bottle swap......................nah, nevermind.

@Ajmassa5983 , the “First Annual Fall Bottle Swap” approaches..............got some goodies picked out?

@Ajmassa5983 , the “First Annual Fall Bottle Swap” approaches..............got some goodies picked out?

Yeah man. And this kit will be part of it. (Last kit I made too). It’s at about 20 months to your 24. But made by the book.
Diving right in i pick up some things I’m not too fond of. But aired out properly? Very enjoyable. American spirals lately just aren’t my favorite. And decanting really improves that on this wine. Just turns down the volume a lot. And eliminates this chemically taste I notice when opened. To me it’s like 2 different wines - pre and post decant.

I started my Bravado kit in August 2016, and tried a bottle when it hit 2 years old about a week ago. I made this one by the book, and it's finally starting to come around. Like others have said, right out of the bottle, it is a bit harsh. Give it an hour or so to open up, and it becomes a really smooth, enjoyable wine, especially when had to compliment a meat sauce like we had. I'm really excited to see how this one continues to age, and I'd like to get at least few bottles to 4 or 5 years old. I'm at 25 remaining now, so there's a pretty good chance I get there :)

Yeah man. And this kit will be part of it. (Last kit I made too). It’s at about 20 months to your 24. But made by the book.
Diving right in i pick up some things I’m not too fond of. But aired out properly? Very enjoyable. American spirals lately just aren’t my favorite. And decanting really improves that on this wine. Just turns down the volume a lot. And eliminates this chemically taste I notice when opened. To me it’s like 2 different wines - pre and post decant.

A firm indicator that the wine wants more time to sit. All those little funky things you taste and think “what is that, I’ve never tasted that” just seem to melt into the mix. I’m going to put a killer case together for you, some kits and grape wines, stories and notes included......

A firm indicator that the wine wants more time to sit. All those little funky things you taste and think “what is that, I’ve never tasted that” just seem to melt into the mix. I’m going to put a killer case together for you, some kits and grape wines, stories and notes included......

Yup. I remember reading something Ibglowin described in detail once on how to predict how the wine will age. Something like an hour opened and have a glass- plug it for couple days. Another glass-plug another couple etc.. I do it often now.
And a “killer case” sounds spectacular. And just like we discussed, there’s no shortage of info/timeline/and anecdotes to put on paper with the bottles for winemaking nerds like us.

There’s a cool wine joint in Jersey called Moore Brothers (right across Ben Franklin bridge Paul ;) who sell all imports otherwise impossible to buy here. They deal strictly with the vineyards/wineries in Europe. No other hands involved. For example a winery in Italy producing 5k cases total. Sells 3k locally. And rest to Moore bros. And full control of shipping conditions. Bottles all come with a printout detailing the winemaker, viticulturist, the area/terroir, the details of production and all the numbers.
Makes for an amazing gift to a wine lover. Bought a variety pack case for my dad 2 yrs ago. Whenever a bottle is cracked open I’ll get a call to discuss all the interesting things about it. All I mean to say is- To a wine lover and home winemaker, having the details makes it so much more enjoyable and interesting.

There’s a cool wine joint in Jersey called Moore Brothers (right across Ben Franklin bridge Paul ;) who sell all imports otherwise impossible to buy here. They deal strictly with the vineyards/wineries in Europe. No other hands involved. For example a winery in Italy producing 5k cases total. Sells 3k locally. And rest to Moore bros. And full control of shipping conditions. Bottles all come with a printout detailing the winemaker, viticulturist, the area/terroir, the details of production and all the numbers.
Makes for an amazing gift to a wine lover. Bought a variety pack case for my dad 2 yrs ago. Whenever a bottle is cracked open I’ll get a call to discuss all the interesting things about it. All I mean to say is- To a wine lover and home winemaker, having the details makes it so much more enjoyable and interesting.

Good suggestion, I haven't been there in about 10 years or so, but used to stop in there periodically. Not big on rose's but had the best I have had to date from there.

That is a great gift idea for the wine lover

Good advice. Mine is still a little harsh but opens up. Never really decanted before but have learned something. Do you think it the tannins that cause it be slow maturing?

Good advice. Mine is still a little harsh but opens up. Never really decanted before but have learned something. Do you think it the tannins that cause it be slow maturing?

That’s actually a helluva good question Frosty. What makes this wine need more age/air time to come into its own then other kits?
I don’t have tons of red kit experience to compare. Only have done 2 other red kits, and they both were decent. And did not need the time that this needs. They were also not as good as this one either tho.
I think mine is a combination of things. The oak i added needs to relax still. And the kit’s “kittyness” needs to mellow after opening still as well. Maybe it’s these things combined with the cab/Sangiovese/merlot tannins. But just guessing

Wife and I broke out a bottle of the Bravado a couple of nights ago for it's 2nd birthday, I was pleasantly surprised. As expected, not like a big, heavy cab, but very nice, bright fruit flavors, no hint of kitness at all, a very super tuscan tasting wine. Mind you, this one was done with once pressed skins from two other batches, but it's very good............

The Bravado, which started around Thanksgiving 2016, and bottled a few months ago, turns two this fall. Still have 30 bottles, might give one a shot for its 2 year bday or so. Maybe even send one to @Ajmassa5983 in our fall bottle swap......................nah, nevermind.
Did you ever open a bottle? I have one that's 22mo old (in bottle) and going to try it tonight...

Wife and I broke out a bottle of the Bravado a couple of nights ago for it's 2nd birthday, I was pleasantly surprised. As expected, not like a big, heavy cab, but very nice, bright fruit flavors, no hint of kitness at all, a very super tuscan tasting wine. Mind you, this one was done with once pressed skins from two other batches, but it's very good............
John, disregard previous question posted a few minutes ago. I should have kept reading the thread...

It’s a shame this was a limited release. Mine is about 30 months and IMHO it’s at least 25% better than anything else in the Eclipse lineup.

Drinking #10 at the moment so down to 20 left!

It’s a shame this was a limited release. Mine is about 30 months and IMHO it’s at least 25% better than anything else in the Eclipse lineup.

Drinking #10 at the moment so down to 20 left!
I made two of these kits, purchased the second one on a deal too good to pass up. It's decent, still have a dozen or so left. Spagnols EPWS Super Tuscan is better by at least 25% fwiw.

I made two of these kits, purchased the second one on a deal too good to pass up. It's decent, still have a dozen or so left. Spagnols EPWS Super Tuscan is better by at least 25% fwiw.

Good to hear, that’s one was just bottled in Feb after a year of bulk aging!

Back