Bottling Day With The Hoffart Auto Bottle Filler!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great looking set up Rick. Definitely need to make one for myself.

I have never looked closely at an auto fill type setup. Doessplash filling cause any oxidation concerns or is the exposure time short enough not to worry about?

RickC said:
Great looking set up Rick. Definitely need to make one for myself.

I have never looked closely at an auto fill type setup. Doessplash filling cause any oxidation concerns or is the exposure time short enough not to worry about?

I wouldn't worry about it. Actually I work solo and have a very slow flow with little or no splash. Also, you can say filling under a slight vacuum, the air might be a little thinner ...
smiley1.gif

I've got an auto bottle (siphon) filler but tend to use a plastic fermenter bucket with a spigot. I don't have to get down on my knees and I don't spill as much. If I over fill the bottle I just pour some by into the bucket.
<div id="myWatcherDiv" style="display:none;">

Wade said:
Mike, I know what I bought was pretty pricey but since I have a bad back now can you see why I spent that money. I was doing the same as you with being on the floor with my BV auto filler and all though its way better then a filling wand it was still brutal and made me really not want to do any bottling. Its stuff like this filler that make it a pleasure to go down there and get done what needs to be done.

I understand the bad back. Have had 3 surgeries myself. My solution is this: I use an auto siphon from the carboy into a bottling bucket. This bucket is sitting on an overturned plastic bucket. I sit on a mechanics roll-around stool. Four casters and height adjustable. I can bottle a 5 gallon batch without moving. Then I get up and cork. Strictly functional.

Yep, what ever works and is easiest on your body so it stays as enjoyable as possible. When I first hurt my back it was amazing how hard everything became and how much this joyful hobby turned into hard work that I began to dread! It took some money and some ingenious ideas, (some by me and some by others on this or the other forum to get this back to enjoyable and not painful.

I have a few questions.

1. I do not have an adjustable pump. Can I use it.

2. You indicate that it stops automatically. Is that because the vacuum tube in the bottle begins to take on wine? Wouldn't it suck it on to the reservoir bottle?

3. If you are using that valve on top, do you use this to stop the flow?

4. what did you use to put holes in vacuvin stoppers? They are available individually from Bed Bath and Beyond

Yes, you can use any vacuum pump (oil free) that will pull ~20" of vacuum. Mine does not have any adjustment. You could always add a valve if you want to control the vacuum flow.

It doesn't stop automatically, when the bottle is full the wine will divert into the overflow tube that has the vacuum on it and begin sucking wine into the overflow bottle until you use the valve on top to shut off the flow.

The Vacuvin has a small slit in it which allows you to pull the vacuum with the hand pump. You just force your tubing (both pieces) through the slit and use some hot glue to seal it all up so you can pull a vacuum on the system with your pump.

Hope this hepls!

I just fixed the link on you tube. Didn't realize it got broken somehow. That may help demonstrate how it all works a little better!

Wade I agree 100%.
I was putting it off because it was such a chore to do. I am in good health and only 53 years young but getting back up after squatting for 45 mins was not much fun......
smiley11.gif

I know what you mean. I'm 53 years young too, Mike!

I may not have seen it correctly, but did that fill from the top, which I've been reading here, is a no no? It might have been a mis-sight on my part, though.

Just one more little comment. I LOVE my vacuum pump. Since I started using it, I've yet to have to use any kind of clearing agent on my wine and it ends up sparkling clear.

Last edited:
Randy, it fills from the top like every other bottle filler I have seen. This one is under vacuum though! Bottling is fun for the first time with this guy. Love it!

Cleaning/scraping/washing bottles still sucks though! :)

"It doesn't stop automatically, when the bottle is full the wine will divert into the overflow tube that has the vacuum on it and begin sucking wine into the overflow bottle until you use the valve on top to shut off the flow."

Given that, I can see that the level on each bottle would be basically the same, correct?

Yes. I usually drop the flow down at the very end to a very slow stream and then cut it off altogether when the first drop or two starts going into the overflow tube. At that point they are all filled to the exact same height. No guess work or dumping a little back etc. I end up with an ounce or two at most at the end of the bottling in the overflow bottle.

I have a mark on the fill valve that lets me fill at a decent rate while I am corking the last bottle and wiping it down etc. Very efficient operation! :db

Latest posts

Back