Bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might have been Land Shark beer bottles. Looks like a plastic label rather that can be removed rather than the permanent label on Corona. I got a few Land Sharks last June in New York state somehere (probably at a Wal-Mart). Might get a few more this summer.

Here in Canada theres a couple of brands...Brahma and Brava that work well. That's what most of my bottles are.

Steve

Are they bottles that you buy or get used and you have to scrape labels off and clean? I'm looking for bottles I can buy new. Yeah I'm kinda lazy

I use corona bottles, just throw them in a bucket of CLR, Lime Away, or StarSan. Let them sit for a day or so and the painted label wipes right off with a scotchbrite pad. I usually pick some up Friday or Sat and wipe them off as I think about it thru the weekend Generally I am done by Sunday night.

Modelo bottles are a real PITA to get the foil off of the top. All my bottles come from the mexican restaurant I use dos equis green and amber bottles and corona.

Are they bottles that you buy or get used and you have to scrape labels off and clean? I'm looking for bottles I can buy new. Yeah I'm kinda lazy
I buy them with beer in them, drink the beer, and then use for my own beer. I don't bother removing the labels.

I would guess that Lon is doing something similar.

Steve

I bought some pepsi that comes in thick clear 12 oz.bottles with screw off caps that I used for some of my SP to go in the coolers. They only have a band of label paper that I just cut off, easy to clean, and I figure if they're thick enough to keep the pepsi carbonation in, they're thick enough to keep the oxygen out. I don't think the pee will last long enough around my house to worry about the bottles too much. :dg

I don't drink much beer and when I do it's not clear bottles. Might check out the local mexican restaurants though. Or just use the twist offs.

around here (decatur) empty glass bottles are in a blue 96 gal trash barrel, they are usually near the back door of the mexican restaurants I usually can get a 5 gal bucket of them each time without digging too far into the bin.

I contacted a local Modelo distributor and within a week he had seven+ cases for me :db

I soaked in a bucket of oxi-clean free and the labels and foils came right off.

...now does anyone know how to get the moldy lemons out of the others that are sitting in my carport... :?

Sunday is when I do most of my swearing knowing the weekend is almost over and I have to go back to work!:slp

I thought I remembered looking at the post afterwards. This is not the first time one of my posts have disappeared! Good catch on that screw cap Steve. I didnt notice they were screw cap. I found them clear and pasted without even looking!

Corona Bottles

I use corona bottles, just throw them in a bucket of CLR, Lime Away, or StarSan. Let them sit for a day or so and the painted label wipes right off with a scotchbrite pad. I usually pick some up Friday or Sat and wipe them off as I think about it thru the weekend Generally I am done by Sunday night.

Airplanedoc I'd like a bit more information on this. I have an unlimited supply of Corona bottles and I would love to get the ink/paint labels off of them. I'm assuming you thin out the CLR, Lime Away or StarSan with water, if so what ratio do you use?

Eric

I am told you can use starsan at the recommended dose 1oz/5gal. (Takes about 4 days) I haven't tried starsan myself, lime away or CLR are cheaper. I don't really measure it out.

I just fill a 5 gal bucket with enough water to cover the painted label. Then pour in about 1/3 bottle of CLR or lime away. Then fill the corona bottles with enough water to stand them on the bottom. Wait about 4 hours pull bottle out and wipe paint with scotchbrite, repeat until clean.

I cleaned 2 cases of bottles over a weekend. You can adjust the CLR (acid) as needed. Just be careful as the acid will eat at the skin on your hands after prolonged use.

Some clean with off right away others require some more soaking and occasionally I get a bottle that just wont clean completely off. They are so easy to come by I just pitch them if they won't entirely clean

I know StarSan can almost surely work, not sure about what strength but at full strength it ate right through the laminate on my countertop in my wine making area!!!!

Thanks guys I may go that route. Or just use the twist offs. Not sure yet.

Latest posts

Back