Bottles with mold

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhawk

Reaction score
I received a case of empty bottles from a buddy and in the bottom of the bottles is mold. What would be the proper way to clean these bottles. I want to make sure all the remnants of the mold are gone. Any suggestions.?
jhawk

For me, I toss em. I have enough coming in that I don't have to deal with the mold issue. Also, depending on how good a buddy and how many bottles you might have coming form them in the future, now would be a good time to ask em to rinse and drain after they finish each bottle. Took a few reminders for a couple of my friends but all rinse the bottles now. Now, if I could just get them to de-label them for me too
smiley36.gif

Any time I get bottles that I am uncertain of the origin ....and/or it has mold. I first rinse out what I can.
-Then I pour in a solution of bleach and water and let it sit for at least 24 hours. Pour out the contents.
-Then begins for me the process of washing them with soap water and scrubing them with a bottle brush.
-Next I clean them with another cleaner, there are an assortment of cleaners you can use (your preferance).
-Then rinse with lots of water and
-last step and I know this might be overkill, I boil and pour boiling water into each bottle and let the boiling water sit in the bottle for at least 1 minute. Then let dry.

JC

jhawk, if you have access to many bottles, I would definitely toss the moldy ones. I found a dried up cricket in one of my bottles and I tossed it.
Me personally, I am too cheap to dump a bottle of nice wine I made. I wouldn't take the chance.
smiley36.gif

Soak them in some Oxy-Clean, Easy Clean, or some One Stepand scrub them good with a brush. You will be really surprised what this stuff can soak off overnight.Wash them again good with a good mixture of the same stuff then sanitize properly with a proper sanitizing solution.

Using the bleach will work but it will not clean the bottles like the above listed oxygen based cleaners will. Bleach will sanitize but is not really that good of a cleaner.If you do use bleach, rinse very, very, very. very well. It is tough to rinse off. Same goes if you use a soap product. If possible, use an un-scented soap product.

We've received some pretty funky bottles over the years...They sit outside of a supper club and then sat a friends house till we get around to picking them up....

Soaking in various bottle cleansers...One step, Straight A, or OxyClean, etc.... jet bottle washer, bottle brush, jet bottle washer, bottle brush...bottle washer...etc. and they are taken care of...store up side down....Then do it all over again before bottling and sanitize....

The main thing I like to do as soon as I get bottles now is to turn them up side down in a wine box with cardboard dividers...at least that drains out all the wine and prevents molds till I can get them washed...Keeps the bugs out too.

Jaon,

You could bleach them or shine special wavelength ultraviolet light on them and hope the infestation goes away. :p

- Jim

Latest posts

Back