bottled to early

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davewaz

Reaction score
Alright, I bottled my Riesling without racking enough and waiting long enough for all the sediment to fall out. The bottles were bottled 45 days ago and there is a large amount of fallout per bottle. When I drank 1 it was a bit chalky and clouded up on the later glasses due to the sediment getting stirred up.

My question is since it's hard not to stir up the sediment, what should I do? Should I pop them all into a bucket and try and rebottle? Will it oxidize? How would I avoid stiring the sediment while opening and emptying the bottles?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Well, the sediment is harmless, just unattractive. I think trying to rebottle would likely introduce too much air into the wine, since I can't imagine any 'careful' way to do so.

As weird as it might seem for a white, how about decanting it?

I would just try to enjoy it as it is. Your right it might do more harm than good to try and rack then into other bottles. As long as it taste good and you like it thats all that matters. When you make another batch batch just give it a little more time to clear up.

I made the same mistake with my first batch of fruit wine. It taste fine, just gives it that "homemade" look to it! :h As long as it taste ok, I'd leave well enough alone. Learn from it and move on.

Depending upon how many bottles you have you could just let it go for now. Angle the bottles or stand them upright to cause the sediment to fall into the bottom and slowly pour your wine out.

You could open all of the bottles, add sulfite and allow it to clear completely. Then rebottle.

A lesson is learned and do not feel bad as this happens often. It is hard to wait before the product is finished. Consider it a lesson learned and now you are a much better wine maker now than before.

On a final note, hopefully it had been fully degassed. Leaving wine not completely degassed can lead to trouble in the bottle.

I would un cork the bottles if you dont like the way it taste.Fine with bentonite, if you havent already,cold stablize,for a week or so re- rack and add sulfite and bulk age in carboys for a few more months.

You can try one of these..
Wine Bottle Filter

Wine Bottle Filter.jpg

I think i have to agree - i would also pour them out, add k-meta in, and let clear - add in a fining agent to help - once clear bottle it.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Looks like it's 50/50 on whether I should mess with these. I think I am going to lean towards doing it. I have 27 bottles so I will dump these into an empty carboy with plenty of K meta, let sit for a week or two then rebottle. do you think the extra surface are in the carboy is gonna be a problem? I have some chennin blanc lying around I could dump in to top off,,, just not sure how well it would mix with reisling.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Looks like it's 50/50 on whether I should mess with these. I think I am going to lean towards doing it. I have 27 bottles so I will dump these into an empty carboy with plenty of K meta, let sit for a week or two then rebottle. do you think the extra surface are in the carboy is gonna be a problem? I have some chennin blanc lying around I could dump in to top off,,, just not sure how well it would mix with reisling.

I don't know if you should "dump" back into carboy. I know it would be tough but maybe rack back into carboy. Or at least pour very gentle, kind of like pouring beer from a tap.
just my 2 cents
Pete

Latest posts

Back