Bottled my Fruit wine small bits of fuzz on bottom

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dominic1920

Reaction score
I bottled my first fruit wine from frozen blueberries following a recipe I found here. It cleared wonderfully, a beautiful dark wine, tastes great and I love it, but after bottling, I noticed a small amount of fuzzy pale stuff in the bottom. Did I bottle too soon? Will this effect the taste? Should I re-bottle?

I bottled my first fruit wine from frozen blueberries following a recipe I found here. It cleared wonderfully, a beautiful dark wine, tastes great and I love it, but after bottling, I noticed a small amount of fuzzy pale stuff in the bottom. Did I bottle too soon? Will this effect the taste? Should I re-bottle?

I've got a bit of what I think you're describing in the bottles of my peach DB variation. The mistake I think I made was that being frugal as I am I bottled from the carboy with the tip off the auto-siphon to get all the wine. I should have racked into my ferment bucket with the tip on the siphon and then bottle from there.

Taste of wine as far as I can tell was/is not impaired by the sediment.

Yes you bottled too soon. It will not effect the taste. Did you use pectic enzyme and bentonite? Both are important components when doing fruit wines.

I did use pectic enzyme, I did not use bentonite. I will get some now, thank you.

I was wondering, is pectin enzyme and bentonite as effective if added after fermentation rather than prior? Kit instructions always have the bentonite added right before pitching the yeast... and the DB instructions have the same for the pectin...

I've got a bit of what I think you're describing in the bottles of my peach DB variation. The mistake I think I made was that being frugal as I am I bottled from the carboy with the tip off the auto-siphon to get all the wine. I should have racked into my ferment bucket with the tip on the siphon and then bottle from there.

Taste of wine as far as I can tell was/is not impaired by the sediment.

Yeah, same here. I tried to make sure I got as much of the goodness as I could when siphoning so maybe that was my problem too.

I was wondering, is pectin enzyme and bentonite as effective if added after fermentation rather than prior? Kit instructions always have the bentonite added right before pitching the yeast... and the DB instructions have the same for the pectin...

I know the pectic enzyme says to add before fermenting, but I don't have any experience with using bentonite. I have added pectic enzyme late though, once because I forgot it, and just said "what the heck, can't hurt can it?" And it was fine, another time I added it after the second racking to get a stubborn pear wine to clear. It didn't really help much with getting it to clear, but didn't hurt any either. BTW, love your avatar ou8amaus, I have a fancy rat that loves wine.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back