Bottle sulfiter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
Anyone who doesnt have one needs to get one now! This saves so much
time and keeps your hands out of that nasty stuff. Used it for the 1st
time along with a mighty vac to. These are necessities if you ask me.
As far as degassing goes, I drill mixed the $%^& out of the Black
Currant the other day, went through 2 18 volt batteries and knew there
was more in there. I literally drilled for about 8 minutes and probably
added to much 02 trying to get the gas out. I vac'ed it today along
with the cherry and was done in no time with little effort and no air
intake! Sulfiter on top of bottle tree!

20070120_183405_Sulfiter.jpg

Nice set up Wade. My wife got me a 90+ bottle tree for xmas, but no sulphiter. I will get that with my next order.

Most labels will remove easily by soaking in hot soapy water for a few hours. For those that leave a glue residue on them, I soak after removing label, then scrape with the back of a big steak knife, then clean up with a green scrubby. For the real stubborn glue, I scrape the label off with the back of the steak knife, then use lighter fluid on a rag, comes right off. Then re-wash of course.Edited by: jobe05

Yes, I have done all the Champagne bottles but not any wine bottles as
of yet. I will start this operation in the next few days though!

If you get into wine making the correct way and order your starter kit from George you get all of that stuff plus a whole lot more. I ordered the premiere kit when I started and I use everything that came with it. It is one of the best thought out starter kits Ihave seen.The vinator and bottle tree are indispensable.

Smurfe

Hey,
I picked up a bottle washer today. Had one before when I used to make beer and can't even dream of having to get my bottles ready without one.

Oh man, I don't know those fancy wordslike sulfiter!

Ok, I bought a sulfiter, but I am going to use it to wash my bottles.

hey you can use bon ami on that glue as well after soaking
the labels off but some will use a glue that only label remover will
take off. dont smoke around it and you might want to use
the lable remover out side it has aroma and not a good one but does
work. will that thing hold 1.5 l bottles as well?
Edited by: OldWino

The bottle tree will hold the magnums, I had a few Champagne magnums on
there along with a bunch of regular champagne bottles. Those bottles
are a lot heavier!

hey the plastic potscraper works great ,you can also use a plastic dough scraper if you make homemade dough.

I agree jobe and I also have a brass one and since I really dislike cleaning bottles and carboys I would hate it if I didn't have one.

jobe05 said:
Scubadon:

For cleaning/rinsing bottles I would recommend something like this

20070121_142717_blast3_sm.jpg
http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=4796

I have a brass one that looks somthing like this that is great for rinsing out carboys and bottles. I could work without one.

Jobe and Scuba Don, I finally got to use my two bottles at a time washer and it's wonderful! It sits on the bottom of your sink. It will also do carboys and you can set them right on it and not worry about pulling your faucet off!! I'm still trying to figure out how I survived without it!

I have one of these too. I use the sulfiter to sterilize the bottles and the faucet washer to rinse and clean. Both work really great.

Joan, you reminded me of a good point when you said "pulling your faucet off". Carboys are harder to clean when your holding them up side down trying to clean/rinse them out, and no, you couldn't let it rest on you faucet. I would think of trying to clean a carboy without having a handle on the neck like this one.

http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=5162

I have the sulfiter and love it. I also have the bottle cleaner, but need to get some type of adaptor for it since my faucet will not accomodate.

jobe05 said:
Joan, you reminded me of a good point when you said "pulling your faucet off". Carboys are harder to clean when your holding them up side down trying to clean/rinse them out, and no, you couldn't let it rest on you faucet. I would think of trying to clean a carboy without having a handle on the neck like this one.

http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=5162

Putting a carboy into production without a handle is against the rules!
smiley4.gif
Edited by: masta

I never have been able to figger out how to get the sulfiter connected to the top of the bottle tree....

smiley19.gif

Back