Bottle rant (sort of)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dralarms

Overboard as usual
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone around my neck of the woods has gone to 6 to 9 buck for used, and I don't even want to talk new.

Well, my brother calls today and the winery that he deals with had brand new bottles @6.50 a case. I can't clean them for that.

I ordered 20 cases, now I gotta drive 8+ hours to get them but at least they are cheap and I get an excuse to visit with my brother. :br

used $1 around here. Maybe less sometimes. Moght as well buy new for that price. I usually always have enough just show up at the back door though. Good friends=Good Times

yea never had to buy , but when I started it was hard to get bottles ,first batch was 5 gal ,,, 25 was a lot of work to get , but now I get 3 to 5 a week ,,,,and after a party a few cases and thats free ..... last summer I did a 18 gal and had more then what I needed I know it took me a long time to get my free bottle suppler lined up ,, and yes I thought I would end up buying .. talk to a owner of restaurant that serves wine or bar owner

I got 400ish bottles from the local convention centre. All matching reds and whites from a wedding. So I just slowly work my way through them, and luckily the labels come off easily :) The only ones I buy are blue bottles.

Same here, never had to buy them. When I first started making wine, a friend of my wife gave me all their bottles. They would have a case every week. I also get all the free ones (750's and 375's)I want from different local wineries around our area.
Sure glad I don't have to pay for them as that would put a damper on things.

The law here makes the bars and restaurants smash them after use. If they give them away, they risk being closed down. But our recycling center gets a lot of whole ones. Beer bottles, too. The guys there consider my reuse of them to be recycling, said I can have all I want. They actually lose money on glass, anyway. I started out buying used from a winery at $5 a case, but that was a one-time deal. All free now.

now I take labels off as I get them ,takes less then a minute per bottle , but if the label is on and it bothers them ,, they don't even get a taste of any of my wine

I got 400ish bottles from the local convention centre. All matching reds and whites from a wedding. So I just slowly work my way through them, and luckily the labels come off easily :) The only ones I buy are blue bottles.

Hi Rayway ! Thanks for the warm Manitoba welcome, pardon the oxymoron. I was wondering did you know someone at the convention centre or were you just at the right place at the right time ? Great way to stock up on all alike bottles !

I have 6 carboys I will need to bottle in the coming months, not really keen on buying all new .

Restaurants are a nice place to pick them up. If you frequent an establishment or know someone that works there - just ask them to save you bottles.

Hi Rayway ! Thanks for the warm Manitoba welcome, pardon the oxymoron. I was wondering did you know someone at the convention centre or were you just at the right place at the right time ? Great way to stock up on all alike bottles !

I have 6 carboys I will need to bottle in the coming months, not really keen on buying all new .

Hey there!
A friend of mine knows the shipper/receiver. I'll look and see if I still have his name somewhere. If you are interested in doing something like that, you should call over there soon and see if you can score bottles from the wine festival coming up!

For the record I meant $1.25 per bottle if bought 12 at a time.

I just ordered 3 cases from Shore Container this week. $59 delivered. That comes to about $1.66/bottle. Not cheap, but I'll re-use them at least a few times.

I got hooked up with a local winery a year and a half ago who had over ordered bottles and was selling for $4/case new. I filled the car up that day. :D

I just ordered 3 cases from Shore Container this week. $59 delivered. That comes to about $1.66/bottle. Not cheap, but I'll re-use them at least a few times.

I got hooked up with a local winery a year and a half ago who had over ordered bottles and was selling for $4/case new. I filled the car up that day. :D

I would have too, 2 or 3 times. :b

Paid $12 and change at my local. Bought two cases and haven't needed to buy any more sense folks found out I reuse. Have plenty now.

Will

Latest posts

Back