Bottle capping wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brushwood24

Reaction score
Is there a reason not to bottle cap wine? I did a search on this forum and a google search to see if anyone was doing it and couldn't really find anything. I found plenty of information about screw caps, but wouldn't a crimped cap be basically the same thing but a lot cheaper to do? I'm thinking about trying it with some of the mead I am making but that got me to wondering why not do the same thing with wine? Is there an issue with long term storage of capped liquid? I would guess it's pretty airtight since that's the closure used for so many carbonated beverages.

I believe that most champagne or sparling wine bottles can be crown capped. Also look for 22oz beer bottles.

Steve

I'm definitely going to try capping some bottles. I've seen some pretty large beer bottles and I'll see if I can get my hands on them. I'm also going to bottle some small bottles as well. They'll work great for sampling the wine as it ages.

It works great to cap beer bottles for wine. First you get to buy some fine beer with non twist off's, then"empty" them. Have used 12oz up to Quart bottles.

Enjoy

Back