Bottle bomb

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dralarms

Overboard as usual
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just had my first true bottle bomb, 1 gal cranberry that was too sweet on finish. My brother said he could fix it. Do I Put It In 1 Gal Jugs And Set On counter. I just checked on some I was fermenting and found glass everywhere and my floor and counter is a sticky mess. Lesson learned.:rdo:rdo:rdo

Crap...Did you lick the counter to see if it taste good ?:)

Just kidding...

Sorry about that.

Pretty impressive, the power of fermentation...
Happy for you that you save the other 5g..

I've come close to having this happen. Had the bottles corked instead of capped. Lost 3 of them. One cork somewhere in the basement, never did find it. Arne.

The only thing like this that has happened was my airlock getting clogged on my pineapple. Had a 6 inch splotch on the ceiling I had to clean up.

I had a bottled raspberry that I forgot to add sorbate to. It blew the cork and shot wine across the room. I saved the rest and had to slowly open them over a bathtub.

I feel ya!

20 Years ago, I wanted to do a closed ferment on a chardonnay.
As a primary, I used a 500 liter tank. I sealed it, and threw on a gooseneck type fermentation trap.

Well the trap got clogged and the lid blew! Took days to get cleaned up..

My lessons learned:

1) do not go with closed fermentation,
2) do not use the tank as a primary,
3) if I ignore the above lessons, at least go with the usual "marble" type trap that will not clog!
4) invest in a goo mop and always keep it handy.

Latest posts

Back