Boiled Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

traveler

Junior
Reaction score
I thought that title would catch your attention! :) Here is the problem, very unusual I would think. My wine celler is very cold, therefore occasionally I turn on a space heater if I am working in there. Well the other day, I had turned it on, and left the room & forgot about the space heater. :slp

6 hours later I came back and the carboys with my two latest batches were to hot to touch! Now I know you must be laughing at my misfortune by now, looking back I certainly am!

So what to do? I carried on and now have the wine at the second racking. The only change I can see is that the wine is taking one heck of a long time to degas.

Do you think this wine is spoiled through my misfortune? (hate to use the word stupidity, lol) So should I carry on with this wine, or just bite the bullet and start over with a new batch or two.

P.S. the yeast had finished working before all this occurred. Have a nice day!

Last edited:
Wow. I would say with the info. provided to rack, sulfite and clear it. Then in a month sample the wine. If it tastes fine (less aging) continue.

Any problems derived from this may not show up until later. What type of wine was it and how many gallons (10?) are we talking about? Was it a kit(s) or from juice? The fact that the glass was hot to touch still doesn't convey if the wine reached the same temp. The wine may not have reached the same temp.

You've gone this far keep going for now and cross ya fingers. Watch your sulfite levels and check for any odors.

How does it taste?
How long has it been in the carboy.
Is it still in the primary

Was this wine fermenting at the time? If not then degassing should have been a lot easier as C02 comes out much easier at warmer temps. Any idea what temp these wines actually made it up to?

Hi Again. To answer a few questions. I racked it over to the 2nd carboy after it was finished fermenting. It was a double kit I picked up at costco. Thought I would give it a try. So far it looks ok, and there is no strange smells. The only thing is that it seems to take a long time degassing. I use a stirrer and power drill to degas.

I will plod on though. Thanks for the advice everyone!

In Canada they do and on the US internet site. Hey are cheap as hell and I have used as a base for other wine Like Merlot/Blackberry and Chardonnay /Peach

Update

Here it is 2 months later. I have tasted the wine, and it seems to be ok. I guess I had panicked for nothing, unless something shows up later. Thanks for all the good advice from everyone. This is one great forum. Now on to looking for a fruit wine for the summer!

Back