Blueberry wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pizz65

Reaction score
OK, so I thought I would try to make a blueberry from the recipe on here. Well my SG is 1.70 whick I know is way to high so now the question is how do I get it down?? I'll be waiting patiently for the answer from all you pros out there.
smiley24.gif

Please recheck your SG. There is no way it will run 1.700. If it is 1.070, that would be reasonable but a bit low. If you used the recipe on the site it will NOT run that high. Your hydrometer will not even read that high. Please re-check. If anything, it is a bit low, but about right for blueberry.

I agree with Appleman, you would have to add lots of sugar to get that high!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you dble check your SG? If it is 1.070 then you could leave it or up it to around 1.080-1.085.

That's great. It should finish out dry now and the right alcohol amount. When done fermenting if you like it sweet, be sure to add potassium metabisulfite and potassium sorbate and THEN sweeten to taste. It should tase wonderful!

You are going to be happy with the blueberry wine. I have transfered mine three times so far and it looks and taste very good. One bit of advise about back sweetening. A little goes a long ways. I made up about 8 cups of blueberry concentrate to add I I only used about one.

Good luck with it.

1/2 tsp per gallon with the sorbate and a campden tablet (k-meta) crushed very well and stirred in to a cup of wine the poured back into your wine. If you do not have campden tablets and only powder then you basically will have to weigh out 1/2 gram as I dont think there is a measurement small enough otherwise as the basic ratio is 1/4 tsp per 5-6 gallons. If you are going to be making 1 gallon batches then a package of campden tablets is highly recommended, just make sure to smash them up really good as there are fillers that hold these pills together and they dont like to break up and mix into wine well. I put the tablet or tablets in a baggie and smash them with a hammer until pulverized and then stir them into a cup of wine withdrawn from carboy for this purpose.

Edited by: wade

Latest posts

Back