Blueberry wine ferment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been standing in the 5G carboy for 6 months.... I tasted it today it had a sparkle to it like a fiz.... I have not added anything to it at this point maybe it needs to be degassed again?!?!

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

On 09-15-2013 you posted a picture with what looks like sg of 1.005. On 09-22-2013 you say the sg was1.020 and had been that way for several days. You said you, “strained it and put it in the secondary.”

My question, did it continue to ferment in secondary or did it stay at 1.020? What is the sg right now. Did you add any chemicals? Explain the “fiz”

If it didn’t continue to ferment after racking, based on your starting sg, I would think the ABV would be a little over 8%.

RR

I think RR meant 1.050 on 9/22/13.

It's been standing in the 5G carboy for 6 months.... I tasted it today it had a sparkle to it like a fiz.... I have not added anything to it at this point maybe it needs to be degassed again?!?!

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

What is the sg as it sits? If it is still sitting at sg of 1.020 then I would agree with Julie that it is a stuck fermentation. The fact that there is a 'fiz' makes me think there is still trapped co2. That you didnt add k-meta to it before letting it age makes me think it might have oxidized. If you are okay with the ABV now I would sorbate now and try to de-gas again. There is a reason for it not fermenting dry. If you want to try to get it to ferment dry I would add nutrient and re-pitch yeast.

RR

Last edited:
I dont think sorbate will not stop a wine from oxidizing...sorbate is meant to help stop any type of referment from adding sugar are juice with sugar contend.
if its topped off well and with an air lock it should not oxidize.

Again, like Region Rat asks as do I, where is the SG now??? That will tell us if it is done or could be refermenting. I ask this because if it is around 0.995 (give or take a bit) it is done fermenting. If it is close to 1.020 it was likely stuck and could be off gasing C02. If it is dry, it could either be a bit of C02 being released yet, or else you have some type of bacterial activity such as mlf. Either of those is possible since you did not add anything to it.

Please check the SG so we can give you an educated answer and aren't just making wild guesses. Those don't help resolve the question.

Latest posts

Back