Blueberry Pomegranite

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottled up 31 bottles. Used two cans of simmered concentrate and a bit of sugar to get the flavors to pop. Ended up a bit on the sweet side though. Should be a good summer drinker.
521533_10201017733867859_337704799_n.jpg

I just stabilized and back-sweetened 5 Gallons yesterday. I used 2 cans (Old Orchard Blue/Pom Concentrate) per gallon, and back-sweetened with one can per gallon. I was surprised how acidic it was. I couldn't imagine going more than 2 cans per gallon during fermentation.

Very delicious though. We will be bottling this weekend.

I just stabilized and back-sweetened 5 Gallons yesterday. I used 2 cans (Old Orchard Blue/Pom Concentrate) per gallon, and back-sweetened with one can per gallon. I was surprised how acidic it was. I couldn't imagine going more than 2 cans per gallon during fermentation.

Very delicious though. We will be bottling this weekend.

I would have went 3 cans and did an acid adjustment then back sweetened with a couple of cans. Sorry but 2 cans IMO is a very light wine.

I would have went 3 cans and did an acid adjustment then back sweetened with a couple of cans. Sorry but 2 cans IMO is a very light wine.

So when you make wine from Grapes and/or Juice, do you boil it down to 1/3 before fermenting to make your wine a heavier wine?

Ke3ju, I can help. I believe she meant use 3 cans per gallon to ferment. Then when you back sweeten and flavor you simmer the juice to about half (to remove the water from the juice) OR use frozen cans of concentrate.

That is how I do mine.

I guess my point was, 1 can of concentrate makes 1 gallon of 1:1 strength juice. Fresh juice is also 1:1 strength. Why make your must 3:1 strength with concentrate when juice NOT from concentrate is only 1:1 strength.

On this premise, you'd want reduce your fresh NOT from concentrate juice down to 1/3, so it would be the same strength as 3 cans of concentrate per gallon in your must.

Well, the concentrate that I get is 3 11.5 oz cans of water to 1 can juice. No where near 1 can per gallon. Also on "most" of the concentrate recipes its recommended to use 4 per gallon.

As Dr. Alarms stated one can does not make a gallon of juice, nor does two cans of concentrate. So for you to make a wine with 2 cans of concentrate per gallon is a weak flavored wine. I am, also, surprised that the acid would be high with two cans per gallon, what was the acid?

And for the record I never boil juice.

I gotta take a second look at the cans I'm getting. I was sure they made a gallon...makes sense now...

typically frozen juice makes up 2 quarts of juice to drink, so 2 cans would be the right amount for a 1 gallon batch of drinking juice. i agree with julie here that for wine purposes 2 cans is a bit light, three seems about right for me, then i usually use 1 can per gallon to backsweeten.

Two cans of juice will give you 92 oz of juice, a gallon is 128 oz.

I made a concord niagara from cans and used 4 per gallon. Julie I also never boil any of my juice or fruit, you are taking a big risk of the wine not being able to clear if you boil juice. Boiling fruit can create a starch haze that is extermly difficult to clear.

Most 11.5oz cans are reconstituted with three cans water, 46oz total volume. I think the cans in the past were larger and did make two quarts, I recall making many pitchers of the stuff growing up.

Boiling fruit can create a starch haze that is extermly difficult to clear.

I dont myself, nor would i recommend to anyone else, to boil fruit.. But starch hazes can usually be solved with Amylase, similiar in use to how pectic enzyme works on pectins

Some days I like a light bodied wine!!!!

It sounds like the cans in question are not the same. Maybe one can is the frozzen juice concentrate from the grocery store, and the other is a can of wine juice from a LHBS. Just a wild guess.....

Planning on stailizing and back sweetening in a week or so. This will be 3 months old on Mother's Day. Should be ready to bottle and sample around Father's Day.

Backsweetened to 1008 over the weekend. For being young, this is very good already. Planning on bottling around Mother's day so it's able to be drank for the summer.

I am going to start a 1 gallong batch of Bluepom this weekend.
I have to hit the super market on the way home. I will get either 4 cans of concentrate or 3ish liters of juice.

My question is how much sugar ????

( i tend to buy one, 2 lb box)

On my last gallon batch of wine I added 1.5 lb of sugar and brought the SG to 1.080 and got a reading potentioal 22% ABV, got scared and watered down to 1.060.

Secondly do you add the sugar right to the concentrate or juice? In the past I have boiled 1 quart of water and stirred sugar into it!

What about tannins?

I was weary of just using concentrate since all my previous kits had me add water.
But I am going to give this a shot, sounds too good not to!

Last edited:
I am going to start a 1 gallong batch of Bluepom this weekend.
I have to hit the super market on the way home. I will get either 4 cans of concentrate or 3ish liters of juice.

My question is how much sugar ????

( i tend to buy one, 2 lb box)

On my last gallon batch of wine I added 1.5 lb of sugar and brought the SG to 1.080 and got a reading potentioal 22% ABV, got scared and watered down to 1.060.

Secondly do you add the sugar right to the concentrate or juice? In the past I have boiled 1 quart of water and stirred sugar into it!

What about tannins?

I was weary of just using concentrate since all my previous kits had me add water.
But I am going to give this a shot, sounds too good not to!

If you are going to buy frozen juice use 4 cans add water to bring it to one gallon and take a reading to see where your sg is at, then add enough sugar to bring sg to 1.080. You should not need to add very much. And if you are going to use juice, do not add water, buy enough juice to make a gallon.

I am having a hard time understanding on your last batch you added 1.5 lb of sugar and brought the sg to 1.080 and potential ABV of 22%??????? A reading of 1.080 should give you ABV of approximately 11%.

If you are going to buy frozen juice use 4 cans add water to bring it to one gallon and take a reading to see where your sg is at, then add enough sugar to bring sg to 1.080. You should not need to add very much. And if you are going to use juice, do not add water, buy enough juice to make a gallon.

I am having a hard time understanding on your last batch you added 1.5 lb of sugar and brought the sg to 1.080 and potential ABV of 22%??????? A reading of 1.080 should give you ABV of approximately 11%.

I may have the reading SG off, since I am not near my notes.
But it read 22% or ridiculously high, so I diluted it a bit.

I was following a receipe for 6 gallons, which I reduced to 1 gallon. This was my 1st non kit batch, so it was a learning experience.
not to mention my conversion and math may have been shakey!!!

Latest posts

Back