Blueberry Pomegranite

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffemt128

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I decided to start a Blueberry pomegranite today since I had the frozen concentrate and the emply 3 gallon carboy at the present time.

Here we go for a 4 gallon recipe (hoping for 3 1/2 when all done).

15 cans Old Orchard Blueberry Pomegranite concentrate.
1 cup of sugar (1.084)
Table spoon nutrient
15 drops pectic enzyme

All added and resting comfortably in the cellar. Will ad 1122 yeast tomorrow morning. Will adjust acid post fermentation to around .75%.

Doug, I am not much of a fruit wine maker (just a few batches of cherry), but I was wondering why the pectic enzyme. My understanding is that it helps break down the fruit when you use whole fruit, but you were using a concentrate. Is there another function for it?

BTW, that sounds like it is going to be a great wine.

Doug, I am not much of a fruit wine maker (just a few batches of cherry), but I was wondering why the pectic enzyme. My understanding is that it helps break down the fruit when you use whole fruit, but you were using a concentrate. Is there another function for it?

BTW, that sounds like it is going to be a great wine.

Rocky it also will help in clearing that is why you would want to add it to a concentrate. You seem to like making a fruit wine here and there. You should try this one, it is a very nice wine and well worth making.

Yep, as Julie said, prevents haze later on in the wines wife. I generally use enzyme in everything I make. It's cheap enough and does no harm. Need to check the sg on this. It's going nicely and I used more juice than usual for this batch. I'll back sweeten with another can when ready.

Transferred my Blueberry Pomegranite to a carboy last night. Full 3 gallon and a 3 liter bottle. I'll use that for topping up and sampling as the quanity gets smaller a few months from now.

Well as you can see this one got forgotten about. I had to have a new furnace installed almost 3 weeks ago and I forgot where I put the carboy when I moved everything.

I racked off the Riunite bottle and the 3 gallon carboy. I have 3 1/2 gallons plus a full 750 ml bottle. Given the almost 4 cans per gallon that I started with, this even being fermeted dry has a wonderful aroma. I didn't both to check the sg, fementation is long done at this point. I stabilzed everything with the necessary kmeta and sorbate. I'll back sweeten next month after tasting. This usually gets a can of concentrate at back sweetening time, I don't think I'll need that this time.

I am in the 3rd month of my Blueberry/Pom. in the secondary,looks great so far.very nice deep red color. will rack again on 4/18/12.

I made a gallon of this wine a few months ago. When I bottled it, the taste was ok. We opened up a bottle last weekend and loved it. I'm into sweet wines and my friend likes the dry wines. This was a nice mix between both. Needless to say we say and drank 3 bottles that night. Now I'm getting ready to start a new batch this weekend. This may be one of the better wines that I have made. Hope you enjoy yours

Bottled the BBPG this evening. Very flavorful, I think 4.5 cans per gallon was a bit much based on the fact I didn't check acid. Great BBPG flavor, high acidic taste but overall will go great with a tall glass of Ice.

Seriously though, could have use some more back sweetening to off set the acid.

Bottled the BBPG this evening. Very flavorful, I think 4.5 cans per gallon was a bit much based on the fact I didn't check acid. Great BBPG flavor, high acidic taste but overall will go great with a tall glass of Ice.

Seriously though, could have use some more back sweetening to off set the acid.

So how many cans per gallon would you use next time? I often use 3 cans as a rule of thumb and add simple sugar to get the SG to 1.095 or thereabouts.

So how many cans per gallon would you use next time? I often use 3 cans as a rule of thumb and add simple sugar to get the SG to 1.095 or thereabouts.

three cans is good and instead of simple sugar, add another can for backsweetening.

It is actually very good. I would stick with 4 cans. I had it so I used it. I did not need to add any back in at back sweetening. It has great flavor.

I can't find Old Orchard in my area, at least not BBPom, and I have begged stores to order. I had been able to use OceanSpray's shelf stable BlueberryPom 100% and talk about WOW! But now it seems it is not available in my area either. Caught is for $4/gallon on clearance and bought every container my store had. Have enough left for one more 3 gallon batch.

I just started a gallon batch today with 3 cans and about a cup of sugar, bringing it to around 1.094. I'm glad to see that this at least has the potential to turn out well.

Alongside the Pomegranate/blueberry concentrate in the freezer case was some Pomegranate/cherry. So I bought some.
Altho it is still working, the aroma is great and the taste is even better.
I may just buy another 15 cans for the second batch!!!!

Latest posts

Back