Blueberry Melomel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a Blueberry Melomel

It's one of my favorites; cant wait for my plants to yield more so that I can make larger batches.. Very merlot-ish, in flavor notes..

That's what I figured, just wanted to clarify, just in case :) no worries. Hope this turns out well for you, I currently have a blueberry melomel aging...I reached 18% ABV and fermented too warm so I have a ton of fuselage to age out *sigh* it was my 2nd batch, I didn't know any better :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I am shooting for somewhere around 12-13% ABV tops, so we will see. It is fermenting away. So far, so good.

My only regret with any of the meads I've done is that I only did one gallon batches. You're supposed to give them a minimum of a year to age to let the honey notes come back through, so now I feel like I'm waiting all this time for just a couple of bottles. From now on I'm going with 3 gallon batches so I have a little more to show for my work.

I made a Blueberry Melomel

It's one of my favorites; cant wait for my plants to yield more so that I can make larger batches.. Very merlot-ish, in flavor notes..

If it turns out anything like your avatar, it is going to be awesome. :) Great pic.

D.J. I usually add half the nutrient up front and the rest about 1.050 or 1.060. Talked to Mike, he said you gave him a couple of bottles. Don't know if it is a compliment or not, but he said your wines tasted pretty much like mine. Arne.

D.J. I usually add half the nutrient up front and the rest about 1.050 or 1.060. Talked to Mike, he said you gave him a couple of bottles. Don't know if it is a compliment or not, but he said your wines tasted pretty much like mine. Arne.

I added 1/2 up front, then 1/4 the next day and the other 1/4 the next day. Ferment was down to 1.012 yesterday so things are moving along nicely. Just racked last night out of primary into secondary.

As far as Mike goes, I will let you decide. :)
I gave him a lemon/lime juice I fermented dry and racked on top of blueberry/pomegranate concentrate and then a bottle of my RJS Old Vine Zin kit I made.

Ya been tasting yet? It will probably be pretty hot. Seems like it takes a long time for the honey to smooth out, probably a year or so. Arne.

I actually have a blackberry and a raspberry that mellowed out after 6 months in the bottle. The honey is just starting to come back out, so I think at a year it will be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Ya been tasting yet? It will probably be pretty hot. Seems like it takes a long time for the honey to smooth out, probably a year or so. Arne.

Not yet. It just finished fermenting in the secondary so going to rack it over to a clean one tonight. Will get a sip then. I am sure it is hot and dry. I figure with a little honey backsweetening and by Christmas it should be much better. Still trying to figure out this patience thing.

Patience, or lack thereof, is why I have to make bigger batches. Oh, and sometimes the bigger batches aren't enough to have some leftover to bottle. Just depends how good it tastes early. Arne.

haha
All very good points Arne.

I racked it over last night to get it off lees. SG 1.004. Too young to have any decent taste. Will let it sit for 30+ days and see if it gets down below 1.000.

Latest posts

Back