Blueberry Melomel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineforfun

Still Trying To Make The Perfect Wine and Now Tryi
Reaction score
I was just given a 3lb jar of local honey. I went to grocery store and bought a 3lb. bag of frozen blueberries. I was going to put those in a mesh bag and ferment with the honey.
Couple of questions:
a. what yeast do you experienced blueberry melomel'ers recommend?
b. any tips of tricks or ingredient additions I should be aware of?

Thanks.

I was just given a 3lb jar of local honey. I went to grocery store and bought a 3lb. bag of frozen blueberries. I was going to put those in a mesh bag and ferment with the honey.
Couple of questions:
a. what yeast do you experienced blueberry melomel'ers recommend?
b. any tips of tricks or ingredient additions I should be aware of?

Thanks.

Some questions to consider: what style of melomel are you wanting to make? Do you want something with very strong blueberry flavor (I've had some that practically had no honey notes to it because the fruit was too strong, which is basically a waste of honey or a sign that it wasn't of good quality)? What are the properties of the honey (color, source...if you know, taste, etc.). Do you want more a dessert type drink or something closer to dry? Fruit in the primary or secondary phase of fermentation (or both)?

As far as the yeast is concerned, you'll probably be okay with any yeast suited for red wines (RC-212, Montrachet, Pasteur Red would be examples) or 71B-1122. You'll find differing opinions on this based on people's experience. I've personally made a blueberry melomel with BM-45 (an Italian red wine isolate) that so far is coming along well. Yeast nutrition is key, though.

Some questions to consider: what style of melomel are you wanting to make? Do you want something with very strong blueberry flavor (I've had some that practically had no honey notes to it because the fruit was too strong, which is basically a waste of honey or a sign that it wasn't of good quality)? What are the properties of the honey (color, source...if you know, taste, etc.). Do you want more a dessert type drink or something closer to dry? Fruit in the primary or secondary phase of fermentation (or both)?

As far as the yeast is concerned, you'll probably be okay with any yeast suited for red wines (RC-212, Montrachet, Pasteur Red would be examples) or 71B-1122. You'll find differing opinions on this based on people's experience. I've personally made a blueberry melomel with BM-45 (an Italian red wine isolate) that so far is coming along well. Yeast nutrition is key, though.

All very valid questions that I should have addressed.
I would like it to be a semi-sweet to sweet wine.
I want a decent blueberry flavor but not to drown out the honey because as you say, that would be a waste of honey.
Fruit in the primary or secondary, I was looking for advice on.
The honey I don't know much about other than it is local. I received it from a guy I work with that raises bees. It has a normal looking color. Somewhat lighter, not a dark honey.

D.J. I used some of the same honey with strawberry. It came out pretty good. Am waiting on it, tho as it has not completely degassed. Spring is coming, the basement will warm up and it will degass. Think I used cotes de blanc yeast with it. Will check my notes if I think of it and let you know. Arne.

Arne,
That would be great. I was going to hit you up for information. The yeast helps and also, how much and when(primary or secondary) did you put the fruit?

That is no where near enough blueberries to drowned out the honey flavor. I have been using D47 for most of my meads lately.

Thanks Mike. I thought about giving D47 a go. Would you put the blueberries in with the primary or secondary?

Put em in the primary in a ferment bag. If you think you need more flavor after fermenting you can always add a f-pac after secondary.

Thanks Arne. Sounds like I have a plan.

All very valid questions that I should have addressed.
I would like it to be a semi-sweet to sweet wine.
I want a decent blueberry flavor but not to drown out the honey because as you say, that would be a waste of honey.
Fruit in the primary or secondary, I was looking for advice on.
The honey I don't know much about other than it is local. I received it from a guy I work with that raises bees. It has a normal looking color. Somewhat lighter, not a dark honey.

3 lbs of blueberries will not drown out the honey flavor provided you use a decent amount of honey and it is not low quality. In fact, you could add a more if you wanted. Ultimately, you can make the mead what you want.

You'll get different opinions regarding fruit in the primary or secondary. I prefer to add the fruit in the primary as it seems to me the fruit and honey flavors meld together better. It will also make for a more complex mead. Fruit in the primary is also easier to work with. Just take into account that the frozen berries have water in them. If you just mix everything up and then add them in, you'll end up diluting the batch some.

If you do use D47, watch your fermentation temperature. It has a tendency to produce higher alcohols if the temperature gets too high...I believe the suggested temperature range is 59-69 degrees. Otherwise, it should be fine.

I did a peach melomel where I added the fruit in the primary and a raspberry one where I added it in the secondary, I I have to say I do like the fruit added in the primary better. I had to add a little more peach after, but so far from what I've sampled it's pretty good. The raspberry is good also, but from now on it will all my fruit will be added in the primary. And I used d-47 and it worked wonderfully.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Thanks to all for all the insight. I haven't really ever had to step feed before but sounds like I should with this one.

Yes sir, mixed it all up Tuesday and pitched D-47 last night. I added 3/4tsp nutrient and will add more I guess, as I will try this step feeding thing.
When should I add more and how much?
SG 1.092 to start

I normally break down the recommended dosage into three and add it the first three days to make sure the yeast have enough as they multiply. Not sure if it's the correct way, but it's worked for me so far.

Step feeding and SNA are different things...are you adding your nutrients in smaller amounts spread out over the sugar breaks/time (SNA) or are you adding additional honey to increase ABV(stepfeeding)? From you initial posts, I'd thought SNA, but just wanted to check...

"adding your nutrients in smaller amounts spread out over the sugar breaks/time (SNA)"

This is what I was referring too. I was mis-speaking with step feeding. I am trying to spread out the nutrient, not up the ABV.

That's what I figured, just wanted to clarify, just in case :) no worries. Hope this turns out well for you, I currently have a blueberry melomel aging...I reached 18% ABV and fermented too warm so I have a ton of fuselage to age out *sigh* it was my 2nd batch, I didn't know any better :-(

Latest posts

Back