Blueberry going sooo slow

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M1wino

Aspiring winemaker
Reaction score
Have a blueberry I started on April 14 with frozen berries. as they often do it fermented slow got stuck a couple of times pitched new yeast a couple of times I racked it to secondary on 5/16 at 1.030 today it is still only down to 1.020. At what point is it a lost cause? Has anyone had one take this long? Any ideas? Thanks for the help

What is your temp? ... did you try adding nutrients? ... stirring in some O2?

I have made a few batches of blueberry wine, and had one that took about 2 months to ferment down. Blueberries have natural preservatives that sometimes can make them difficult to ferment, they move very slowly. I would use a pretty hearty yeast if you are looking to speed things up (such as Lalvin EC-118 or Red Star Premier Cuvee) with a nice good starter and some yeast nutrient and energizer. Make sure you are stirring daily and that it isn't in a cold area. I probably wouldn't have racked it to the primary yet, as it is having difficulty fermenting, you want to make sure it has some oxygen for this process. Good luck!

My first idea is, how's it taste? Pull some with a wine thief. If it tastes like it is coming along and no off smells, I'd let 'er rip in secondary as long as it takes. The recipe I use calls for transfer to secondary right where you did it. BB takes time, I know that. Everything about the secondary process is slower with this wine.

I dunno, people always say BB is hard to ferment, but I boost it up to 1.100 SSG and add nutrient to the must, and no worries so far. Hits 1.020-1.030 in 5 days, and the last one was so vigorous it did foam up some in the carboy. I use 71B-1122 in all my fruit wines.

Have a blueberry I started on April 14 with frozen berries. as they often do it fermented slow got stuck a couple of times pitched new yeast a couple of times I racked it to secondary on 5/16 at 1.030 today it is still only down to 1.020. At what point is it a lost cause? Has anyone had one take this long? Any ideas? Thanks for the help

I have made blueberry several times..and as with any wine the room temps are important..I actually had mine stop fermentation and several weeks later start back up..and twice after stabilizing and bottling had fermentation start back..and corks started popping, ( back to the carboy)
If the room in under 70 degrees I will wrap a heating pad around the carboy and wrap with a blanket, may even add a lil more sugar 1lb or so and some yeast energizer, Oh and my wine making room is in my basement..I get my carboys off the cool floor.
Good luck..

Back