Blossom Ridge Vineyards

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I appreciate everyone's encouragement and will add photos as there is progress.

Thanks for asking, Appleman.

Got the vineyard planted last weekend. Will post pictures soon.

Very nice place indeed Bonnie....What kind of fish have you in the pond?

Progress & photos - Finally!!!!

20080506_175207_Those_Darned_Go.JPG

Those Darned Gophers

20080506_180507_65_Down_Small.JPG

65 Down - 15 to Go

20080506_181159_The_Grape_Whisp.JPG

The Grape Whisperer

20080506_181835_Baby_Marquettes.JPG

The Last 15 - Baby Marquettes from March. 2008 Prunings

Looks like a nice area you have there, keep up the good work and the pics so we can see the progress.

I love them Bonnie. Great looking site you have there. I see you were well prepared and had you posts already in. I usually don't get around to them for a while after I have the vines planted, like my latest planting of 50 Marquette this last weekend. If you have gophers there, be sure to keep the Blue-X on for a while and try to get rid of them. They love to chew the roots and tender young plants(vines).

Keep posting pictures like Wade and NW say. You might also change the date stamp on your camera so you have an accurate record of phots in the future.
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

Thanks everyone for your kind words, encouragement, and especially the advice. I was actually teasing about the gophers, Appleman :)

20080602_165408_Drilling_for_Oi.JPG

3' deep x 1' diameter holes before amending soil, backfilling & planting.

We've had quite a few rains since planting the vines. More is expected this week. Yesterday we took advantage of the softer ground to till with our new toy - a Honda Tiiler. Planted some annual ryegrass in the aisles to prevent errosion. Hope to till it under & plant low maintenancegrass in the fall or next spring.

Fixed the camera's date stamp, too
smiley36.gif

20080602_165936_6.1.08_After_Ti.JPG

I figured you were teasing about the gophers and meant the holes you were digging
smiley36.gif

What are the short tubes Bonnie? Milk carton type protectors? Wow you vineyard has already progressed about 4 and a half years!(Date Stamp reference). Looks good.

Appleman - The short blue things are Blue-X shelters that I cut in half. I plan to leave them in place all Summer to prevent weed whacking damage. I think the other advantaqe will be hardier, less spindly vines going into winter.

Does anyone use the Cornell Spray formula on their vines to protect against mildews & pests? We started sraying a mixture ofbaking soda, insecticidal soap, horticultural oil, and water this year. Just wonder if others have much experience with this blend.

Thanks Waldo & Joan.

I'm loving both the physical & spiritual aspects of this hobby.

Just an update on the cottage. It's about ready to move into. Just in time to begin tending the vineyard.

Does anyone recall hearing about the rediscovery of the first commerially successful wine grape called the Cape grape AKA Alexander?? I'd like to re-read the article. Who published this and when?

20090321_080632_Cottage_&amp_Viney.JPG

I cut the Blue-X tubes in half about mid-Summer and left the shortened versionson thru the Winter. The idea was to expose most of thewood so it could harden off, butto protect the graft area from weed whacking and the drastic temperature swings we get in Indiana.
We had one of the coldest Winters I can recall. Thetemp swings were worse than normal, and the west winds ferocious.I'm expecting to have lost quite a few vines. Ihave some late budding varieties planted, soas soon as there's bud break throughout the vineyard, I'llreport whether the theory worked or not.

I have anupdate on the vine hardiness and blue-x shelters.

90% Cab Franc loss.
50% Vidal, Traminette, Noiretvine loss due to winter injury.
All the Vignoles & Marquettesmade it.

The west outside row is being replaced with own rooted Concord, Niagara & Frontenac Gris. Considering using Geneva Double Curtain. Hoping it will attenuate the winter winds in the hybrids to the east of them. Filled in lost Noiret & Traminettewith a few Corot Noir & many more Marquettes.

Significantissues causing vine demise: arrested root development & insufficient vine height going into winter; green-house affect of blue-x shields during the winter temp swings. There are certainlyothers I've failed to recognize.

Lessons learned my first year: need balanced fertilization to promote root growth and foliage to get vinesas close to top wire as possible by fall;assure vines do not have to compete with companion grass for nutrients; remove blue-x shields no later than August to harden off the vines;hill dirt over graft union before winter;seed w/ nemotodes this spring to eat jap beetle larvae before they hatch; spray for jap beetles to prevent huge foliar losses; water young vines weekly (weather dependent).

Seems I've made about every mistake a newbie can make
smiley19.gif

Well, this is another year and I'm definitely NOT a quitter. Many thanks for the posts others are making regarding vineyard management. It has helped me tremendously to read how others are doing things.

I'm a little torn about the GDC system. Rows run North - South. Vine spacing is 10' x 8' for NA's, 10' x 6' in hybrids.Since I'm short in stature, trellis height is a little over 5'. Does anyone feel I'll introduce too much afternoon shade with the GDC going in onthe farthest west row? And, is it even necessary to do GDC with the selected cultivars? Is TWC sufficent? The hybrids will train to VSP. All opnions & advise is welcomed.

Let me start by saying - wow that's a lot going on!

Are you sure of the losses? Often small vines that didn't harden will die back quite a bit, but that part should be cut off in their first pruning anyways. Even if their was only two buds on the vine alive down low, it would reach the top wire by the first week of July or sooner! A lot of vigor in second year vines. We are just now getting budswell and a lot of vines that I thought had died back a lot seem to have swelling buds. On the Traminette, a few growers have told me they look terrible after winter, but they grow back and flower anyways. I will know for sure within a couple weeks or so. The Cab Franc I am not excited about either way.

Your trellis height is fine. You can use GDC if you wish, but it is more work training it that way than TWC. TWC would work fine for the varieties you have. Good luck with everything. I hope they all grow well for you this year.

Latest posts

Back