Blossom Ridge Vineyards

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BonnieJoy

Reaction score
To All who have encouraged me on this forum - here's an aerial view ofthe future site of Blossom Ridge Vineyards. I have 2 acres, but will be using some of it for a small cottage on, of course, abasement. Gots to have a wine cellar:) SW Slope is 2 - 4 degrees. There's pretty much always a breeze at this location that I hope willkeep my vine babies healthier duringthegosh awful Indiana Summer humidity. When I figure out how to reduce the file size ofphotos I'll post some on this thread.

Planned are 4 rows, 20 vines per row:
Reds - Marquette 2 rows, Noiret 1 row
Whites - Vidal, Vignoles, Traminette, Cayuga-Riesling X, Traminette-Ravat X

If there are other vine recommendations, I'm all ears. I have an order going with Double A Vineyards that can always be updated. My tastes in wines are Germanic Off Dry Whites, Fruity Dry Reds (Syrah, Pinot Noir, Merlot, Zinfandel).Because ofglobal warming, my zone is closer to 6a than5b. Growing days are151 - 160. I'vebeen ordering on 101-14 rootstocks to enourage earlier grape maturity.

What are the experiences of others using square posts as opposed to round? In Appleman's vineyard photos it looks like his are spaced @ 24' intervals? I was going with VSP trellis system but am open to other opinions.

Edited by: Bonnie Joy

Bonnie Joy. Nice start to this post.

For resizing-Do a search on the forum for photo resizer. There is a link from Masta to Microsoft's Photo resize. Very easy to use and will shrink the phots down without loss of quality.

Good choice of vines. They should do well there. What are the crosses? From NY experimental crosses? Another variety of white that does well in Indiana is Chardonnel. Double A is out this year. Joan wants a few from me in the spring, but I might have a few extra 2 year old cuttings.

You are right about the spacing being 24 feet(a few at 28') depending on vine spacing. So far the wires handle it well. I use the 12.5 guage high tensile wire.

Looks like your gonna be a busy lady! Hope all is successful! Is this your New Years resolution?
smiley36.gif

Nope, nothing wrong with your computer. The darned image isn't cooperating.

Let's try this again.

Aerial View of area
20071231_144845_Timber_Lake_&amp_B.jpg

Bonnie make sure there are no special characters in the file name like!#$%^&/? and so on. Also the file needs to be < 150KB. Use the photo resizing tool and set to 800x640 or smaller and it should be small enough.

Yes Appleman, the crosses are in the Geneva program & still just numbered. They sounded like potential blenders for my Traminette and Vidal. Should also make nice semi-sweet whites.

Traminette x Ravat 34 = NY76.0844.24 yields up to 23#/vine , floral, muscat like
Cayuga x Riesling = NY81.0315.17 hardier than Cayuga, floral, muscatlike

Thanks - The aerial was apowerpoint slide that I converted to a bitmap image. Guess I'llgive up on that one. I downloaded the microsoft digital photo resizer and shrunk a few photos to smallest size. I'll make an attempt later to get those posted.

20071231_161748_Timber_Lake.JPG
Photo 2 - Vineyard location from large trees on E property line to the swale. 1st isview from W property line. When I need a break from vineyard management, I'll just cast aline in for tonight's supper. Last is BJ toasting her decision to buy this land.Call me crazy for leaving the "old timers" Villas for snow plowing, lawn mowing, gardening, and serentity.
20071231_155817_Blossom_Ridge.JPG
20071231_160124_BJ.JPG

Congratulations Bonnie Joy...Looks like a beautiful spot there...

There will be work, but the rewards will fill your heart everyday...Go for it!!!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

What a pretty sight! Like an oasis. Are you gonna build yourself a dock?

Looks great bonnie. The fruits of you labor will be outstanding. I am enjoying a glass of mine right now.
smiley2.gif
Edited by: swillologist

Bonnie Joy said:
Yes Appleman, the crosses are in the Geneva program & still just numbered. They sounded like potential blenders for my Traminette and Vidal. Should also make nice semi-sweet whites.

Traminette x Ravat 34 = NY76.0844.24 yields up to 23#/vine , floral, muscat like
Cayuga x Riesling = NY81.0315.17 hardier than Cayuga, floral, muscatlike

BJ I can tell you that you will love the NY......24 grapes down there. We held off picking them this year and they are VERY tasty. It is one of the 25 grapes in the variety trial at Willsboro. Large loose clusters of small golden berries with extreme flavor-lots of Muscat. They were very disease resistant. They ripened late here at the end of the season, but we have a short one here. I didn't bring any of these home since the day they were picked we had the biggest picking crew there of any days. I had gotten a good variety of grapes already so I passed on them. They have created a lot of interest at Cornell. I don't think you will need to blend these babies. They have plenty of acid to hold their own until fully ripened.

I will have to double check on the NY17, but I'm not sure if we have that one or not. Great setting you have there by the water. I would back off a little from the water to avoid the hollow frost pocket by the water. And I do see a little dock there already. What do you have the pond stocked with-Bass and Bluegill or Crappie?

Yep - the 8 acre pond (my neighbors) is stocked with Bluegill, Crappie, Lg Mouth Bass, and Channel Cats. My deed gives me walking easement rights. I caught some filet sized gills off the end of that little dock last Summer.
Thevineyard rows will start on the high ground, W of the big trees. Since the slope is SW I want torun the rowsdiagonal, tofollow the contour of the land. Should maximize sun/wind exposure and allow longer rows. I'm open to other ideas on this layout if anyone has them.

I need to avoid usingthe NE corner (highest point) for grapes since this is wheremy very small retirement cottage will be built.
smiley4.gif

Looks like a great place you have Bonnie, your very lucky.

Will you be able to utilize the water from the pond to irrigate the vineyard?

Great looking site, BJ -- I too will look forward to seeing the progress -- there are lots of great ideas about row orientation depending on your slope and aspect -- and I'm sure you've already made your county agent a friend!

I'm sure there is a way to change that "bitmap" to a "jpeg" but I don't have the info at hand. Maybe someone else knows -- Happy New Year!

Welcome to the Forum Bonnie Joy,

Looks like a place I would love to be!!!!! Keep posting your pictures so we can see your progress.

Ramona

If you have an editing software like picture it or adobe you should be able to save it as what ever you want by clicking save as and changing what you save it as near the bottom by scrolling up or down.

Latest posts

Back