suggestions for backyard vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernman

Junior
Reaction score
Hello,

I have some questions about starting a small backyard vineyard. I plan on starting out with 3-4 96' rows with each row being a different variety of grape. I am in planting zone 6. I would like to plant a row of St Croix, Cab Franc, St Vincent and maybe Baco Noir if I have room. I have not tested my soil but it has more clay then loam.

For the end posts I am thinking of using 5" x 8-10' posts. With 96' rows should I set the end posts at 60 degree angle with earth anchors? I am having a hard time finding the posts locally. I am going to check with a couple local vineyards to see if they are willing to sell a few posts.

I don't really have the option to setup drip irrigation so should I plant the vines closer or farther apart? I plan on 8 feet between rows.

Thanks in advance for any input and suggestions. I am sure I will have many more questions as I would like to start ordering supplies although I will have to wait till the 2 feet of snow melts in the field before I can start laying it out. I will be getting my vines from Double A Vineyard except for Cab Franc, they are out of stock so they will wait till next year.

I don't have a lot to tell you. Sounds like you have thought it out fairly well. Since you can't get Cab Franc you might reconsider that one for another. Cab Franc will probably survive alright there but depending on you location might not ripen enough to prevent it from having a lot of green vegetative tast.

You mention clay, but not how well it drains. It needs to be well drained for the vines to do well. If it doesn't drain well, try to improve it.

With those varieties and their vigor you probably should plant 7 or 8 feet apart in the row.

about posts try visiting your local electric utility. they replace there poles from time to time and sometimes you can get small diameter poles from them. a six pack of beer works well for openers.
also six foot spacing will work on vines just need to prune judiciously and summer prune correctly.

for posts any farm or agriculture store should have them also. I seem to get alot of stuff at Tractor Supply. I happen to work close to one but they have stores all over. Good luck with the project.

Back