Blossom Ridge Vineyards

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i agree w Rich......wait a bit to confirm that what seems like losses really are indeed losses...like he says, you only need a coupla good buds to go with, even if they pop from the base ( i am assuming they are own-rooted stock)

Since they are now going into second -leaf you can use this year to develop teh trunk *or* the trunk and cordons...keep us posted

Thanks for the feedback, Rich & Al. Everything except the Marquettes & NA's are on 101-14 rootstock. If the west row really did survive, I have a new problem in that the vineyard will need a littleup-sizing to accommodate the 12NA's that arrived yesterday from "Double A".
smiley1.gif

Ah, to have the problem of where to fit an extra 12 vines.............
That's not a tough one! That will fit most anywhere. What kinds were they?

Rich they're Concord, Niagara, Frontenac Gris (yes, I know this is a hybrid).Taking your advice to do them on TWC.

It is hard to believe that Frontenac Gris is the same basic grape as Frontenac. It has a totally different flavor to it. In my opinion it is much better. Like a white wine, but more body and robust spicy fruitiness. I like it and one of these days I will probably plant some of my own.

Just a little update on vine life. Most of the Noiret & Cab Franc in the west row died. Those that survived got moved to a nursery & replacedby Concord, Niagara, Frontenac Gris.

I'm in zone 5b.You'd think zone 4 vines shouldmake it here
smiley6.gif
Appleman has taken a hardline and I agree with his new tude. If those hybrids don't perform better this year, zone 3 vines willreplace them next Spring.

Cab Franc is a Zone 6 vinifera, so you are a bit cold there with a 5b. Noiret should have been OK. It must not have hardened off well before freezing. Don't throw in the towel yet!

sorry to hear of your vine loss..i am giving mt landot noir some more time because they are the vines next to my st pepin and act as pollinators.....

I'm done yanking vines. What's left willget some extra attention this Summer. Rich was spot on.The vineyard wasn't prepared to survive a tough winter. I did too many things wrong and the temps were the 4th coldest in recorded history, reaching a low of -22F w/ wind chills @ -40F.

Appleman's recent posts inspired me to provide a little update on my small vinyard. All tilling around the vines is completed. This weekend (weather permitting) the fruiting wires will be installed. Got a handy dandy Gripple tool & 12.5 ga. HT wire. If that goes well, I may also string the catch wires. Bought monofilament for these.
20090611_170233_6.7.09_Vineyard.JPG

The row on the right are the new NA vines planted this year. They'll go on aTWC trellis. I'm very pleased with the development of the 2nd year Marquette's in the adjacent row.I may allow them to set a cluster eachnext year.

Looking good Bonnie! Get a going with those wires now. I bet the Marquette are quite large by years end. Once the wires are in place you can start to get some vine structure going.

Glad to see somebody else vineyards and not just mine. The more of us that post thes pictures, the more somebody else will say- "Hey I can do that!"

I agree! They look great, and anytime you think you've got problems with cold, just add deer to the mix! (My little backyard vinyard is beginning to look like it's surrounded by the Maginot Line!)
smiley2.gif

(Hmmm Rich is right -- I'd better get out my camera!)

Here are some pics of the wires we installed. Used the monofilament from Orchard Valley that Al talked about. It is extremely easy to work with. I wanted movable catch wires, so OV also supplied me with some plastic fasteners thatact as guides and also allows wiremovement. Once I ruined the firstgripple (ya gots ta feed the wires in the direction ofthem darned arrows)the rest was even easy enough for a 60 year old grandmother
smiley36.gif

Installing the plastic wire guides
20090623_164517_Install_Catch_W.JPG

Monofilament Catch Wires Installed @ 12" & 24" spacing above the fruiting wire. Fruiting wire is 32" above grade.
20090623_164752_Mono_Wires_Smal.JPG

Marquette on Fruiting Wire
20090623_165101_Marquette_on_Wi.jpg

This weekend it's time to sink the earth anchors and install the end post support wires.

Way to go Granny, er Bonnie! I put some of them up this last weekend. ery easy to use. I'm just not sure it is worth almost 3 times as much money as steel wire.............
smiley5.gif

One thing I like is that if I use Gripples for them, I can pull them nice and tight without even using the Gripple Tensioning Tool.

Be glad your vines are still small Bonnie. Mine are behaving like boisterous teenagers flexing and stretching all over the place and pushing their boundaries.
smiley3.gif
I need to go out there with a whip every day to try to whip em back into their space. And then, there are two acres of babies to tend that are crying for attention non-stop! They are growing like weeds, and that is good because so are the weeds.
smiley36.gif

yes...looking good...i plan on adding another mono wire next year...should have done this year but time never seems to be there

Rich what did you pay?

The stuff I got from Orchard Valley was 250 plus shipping for 6700 feet. 12.5 HT wire is 89 at my local Tractor supply for 4400 feet.

12,000 feet ( 3/4,000 ft rolls) at 78 per roll plus shipping from spec trellis

and we pay same price for 12.5ht at tractor supply ( love that store)

Here are a couple of pics taken today of our young vines. We've been working on their structure some thisSummer.From right to left: 1st row - Niagara, Concord, Frontenac Gris; 2nd row - Marquette, Noiret
20090910_133207_9.10.09_-_Full_.JPG

20090910_133625_9.10.09_-Two_Ro.JPG

From left to right: 1st row - Vidal, Vignole; 2nd row - Traminette, Corot Noir; 3rd row - Marquette.

Latest posts

Back