Blending Wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

traveler

Junior
Reaction score
Ok, I have now made 6 batches total from wine kits since I started this great hobby last year. Some better than others of course.:h..

Having recently tasted a commercially blended wine ( Cabernet Savignon & Merlot) and enjoying it, I have decided I would like to try to blend a couple of kits myself. I have no idea when to blend or how much!

Can anyone give me some pointers? Or a starting point? Has anyone blended a Savignon with a Merlot? If so, how did it turn out? :a1

Thanks
Joe

Joe I have not blended either one of those. What I would do though is make both kits following the instructions to the end and bulk age. After 6 months or more of bulk aging I would experiment blending the two keeping accurate measurements of ratio's until you find one you like. Then blend the two using that same ratio before bottling. Let age another 6-12 months. :a1

I agree with what Runningwolf posted, especially the part about allowing to bulk age after mixing. This would allow the flavors to fully mesh in a large batch. You may want to save some of each individual in the event that it is needed for further blending once the bulk aging began.

there isn't an answer for how much and what kinds. it's all done by taste. mix what you think will go together and have some fun with it. it'll surprise you how well they mix. you can mix wine at any time really (fermentation wouldn't be a good idea though), even already bottled wine. as stated above, letting them meld together is a good idea.

Your blends are typically around a 80-20 or 75-25 and sometimes 50-50. I have some blends (reds) aging ( a year) to be bottled in Sept. You need to either let them mellow together or later during their aging pull off a sample and with a measuring cup or measuring spoons do some math and sample several blends till you find what you like. Then you can blend in bulk.

Remember if you are adding oak that will change the flavor later on so sampling now may or may not work.

I have a post on here somewhere listing many blends, I'll see if I can find it today.

Your traditional blends can be Cabernet Sauvignon with a Merlot
Sauvignon Blanc with Semillion
Riesling and Gewurztraminer
Take a Pinot Blanc or Chenin Blanc with a Riesling or Gewurztraminer
Syrah and Pinot Noir
Syrah and a Zinfandel
Blend a Syrah with a Cab. Sauv. to create a Shiraz Cabernet
Blend these 3 Cab. Sauv, Cab. Franc. and Merlot you will create a Bordeaux

Thanks eveyone for your advice. I have decided that I am going to try a Cabernet Sauvignon with a Merlot. I probably will start both kits next month, and proceed from there. Seems the more I learn, the more adventurous (dangerous) I get. :h Hopefully with your advice, all will work out!! :b

Not the same type of wines you guys are talking about but it turned out really good .When we ere bottling our Island mist pomegranate zinfandel and Orchard breezein Black Cherry Pinot Noir there was 2 part bottles so i threw them together in 1 bottle for a couple of weeks then tried it man it was good . Some of it I put a little bit of lemon/lime pop in it , yummy .

Last weekend Mike and I went to camp, I had a 2008 bottle of concord (my oldest that I have but also my weakest) and a bottle of my spiced apple. The apple hasn't come into it's own completely yet but it is getting there, won't be a year old until Ocotber. Anyway I took a half glass of apple and between a third and a half of this concord and blended it. Wow is this good. I should have a lot of apples and concord grapes this year so I am thinking of blending these two together. I will probably have a 75-25, spiced apple/concord blend. I think this stuff will be fanastic. Has anyone else done this?

Try a 70/30 cab/merlot for a start
If you dont like it try a 65/35 etc

I have 2 blends in carbos getting a little more age as we speak. One is a Sangiovese/Zin and the other is a Cab/Merlot. I agree with Tom above and work with a small amount noting what ratio you are using then multiply that by what you have left to blend. My Cab?merlot is 55/45, 55 being the Cab and the Sang/Zin is 65/35 with 65 being the Sang and with rest I left as was.

I have 2 blends in carbos getting a little more age as we speak. One is a Sangiovese/Zin and the other is a Cab/Merlot. I agree with Tom above and work with a small amount noting what ratio you are using then multiply that by what you have left to blend. My Cab?merlot is 55/45, 55 being the Cab and the Sang/Zin is 65/35 with 65 being the Sang and with rest I left as was.

Wade I am assuming you are making two separate wines and then blend.
Do you blend after fermentation or do you let them age for awhile first then blend?

I let them age for a while then blend otherwise its very hard to taste them when they are green.

I let them age for a while then blend otherwise its very hard to taste them when they are green.

I'm thinking about aging for 6 months then blend, is that enough time or should I age longer

I bought a wine blending kit earlier this year...I believe it was from Crushpad. It was from the wine blending competition reality show as kind of a theme for the kit. It comes with instruction/informative reading material, a graduated cylinder, four pipets and some wine to practice with.

Back