Blending mistake

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimmij

Junior
Reaction score
I took a homemade apple wine that I was bulk aging for about 4 months and blended it with a Muscato. After I got the blend I liked, I let it set for about 24 hours prior to bottling. About 4 days after bottling, some of the corks started popping. So, I have a couple of questions.

1 did this wine start fermenting again?
2 is this wine worth saving?

What steps should I have taken after blending?

I was really concerned about air exposure and I did not have a small carboy to hold it.

Would love to get some insight.
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

The first think you need to make sure is that the wine was done fermenting. Did you backsweeten either or both of these? Did you add sorbate prior to backsweetening?

No, both had been aging after completing fermentation for at least 3 months. I did however put the apple in an oak barrel when I aged it. Just messing with the flavor a little. I blended straight out of the barrel into fermentation bucket. I did not degass again or filter as I filtered both of them before and was afraid of taking away the flavor.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

I think just about every batch of apple that I have made from (commercial) juice has refermented. My LHBS guy thought maybe the abv was too low for the sorbate to have effect. A theory that was shot down mightily by the WMT heads of state. I have no clue why apple is so irrascible, I've just decided to live with it. It's too much fun to make, and tweak!

for some reason your wine started fermenting. if desired I would uncork and place in fermenter or carboy and let it ferment out. check with hydrometer. definitely add sorbate once things settle down.

suggest in future do a bench trial once blend is established make one bottle of blend and check it out after two weeks. problems such as this would have developed. it reduces risk of having a bad blend of entire batch.

Latest posts

Back