Blending Ideas

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uprightnickel

Junior
Reaction score
Bought a few 5 gallon pails of fresh juice from a local winery. Been looking for ideas on blending a few together as a trial for next years harvest.
So far the only blend I have done was a 50/50 blend of Niagara and Delaware juice prior to fermentation, just based on number of empty buckets I had at the time.
The wine has finished fermenting and I am just bulk aging t this point till I decide to blend.

Here is what I have to choose from:

5 gallons:
Concord
Fredonia
Chambourcin
Catawba
Traminitte
Vidal

9 gallons:
Delaware
Niagara

Let me know if you have blended any of these, with successes or failures.

Thanks for any info

If you finish them out seperately, you can bench test them.. Mix glasses of them, use different amounts and keep track of them. This way you can find out how you like them and not try and rely on how we like them. Just an idea. Arne.

bench trials are the best. first how do the wine taste. are any acidic? if so try blending with one less acidic to get balance. one method to try blending is lengthy but does work . assume wines A and B, try these 10%A and 90%B, 20%a and 80%b, 30%A and 70%b, 40%A and 60%B, 50/50, 60%A and40%B, 70%A and 30%B, 80%A and 20%B , 90%A and 10%B. don't be afraid to blend a white with a red, especially if one is sweeter than the other.

Thanks, was looking to see if anyone had any history with any blends. Mot worth bench testing if just tastes bad, but I guess to each their own as well. Thanks for the help and insight. Will start bench testing these soon.

You think one mite taste bad, but sometimes it will blend well. And keep it around for a while before you dump what you think is a bad one. Amazing what some time in the bottle or carboy can do for some of the not the best tasting wines. Arne.

We do a 50/50 blend of Niagara and Concord---a big favorite.

We also blend 50/50 with Catawba and Niagara just to knock down the floralness of the Catawba. Turns out mighty nice.

We blend Niagara with many other things too. One of our big favorites is 2 cans of limeaide to 5 gallons of Niagara. A great summer wine. The lime is excellent with the Niagara. Also blend it with 4 cans of white grape/ raspberry concentrate. It's unbelievably good!! There's almost nothing you can't use on Niagara--a great little,versatile wine.

Thanks tried a blend with the welch's raspberry. Tasted good at bottling can't wait to try after it gets some age.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Here are some of the blends we have done last year

A-do - 2:1 Catawba - FredoniaDestiny - 2:1:1 Catawba - Concord - FredoniaAndrea's Whine - 2:1:1 Niagra - Concord - FredoniaConcord Niagra - 1:1 Concord - Niagra

Done a niagara with a Vincent 90/10, niagara with Catawba 75/25, Catawba niagara 80/20, honey blossom mead with Baco noir 85/15.

Back