BLACKBERRY WINE

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
smiley9.gif
Waag. Didn't see that. [chuckles]

Got it fixed now though.

Thanks Apple.

Interesting note here.

Whilst browsing the canned fruit section of my favorite grocery store, I found several varieties of Origon fruit base in 15 oz cans marked, 9.5oz blackberries in light syrup.
All this for $2.50 a can.
The way I figure this, is 6 cans is 90oz. That's $15.00

One 96oz can of Vintners is $25.00

Hmmmmm.

I also found 15oz cans of apricots in light syrup at $1.50 a can,

I also found 15oz cans of tart cherrys in light syrup at $1.50 a can and

I also found 15oz cans of sweet cherrys in light syrup at $1.50 a can.

My head's spinnin.

I think I'm gonna do some speramentin here.

Anybody else tried this yet?

Those are not the same but will probably work but with different results. The Vintners Harvest is pure juice and fruits with no syrup. What are the ingredients in the syrup?

Yes, we have tried it, using the fruit cocktail. We made a wonderful wine from it. Everyone we share our wine withhas enjoyed it. We tried it as an experiment also, with very good results.

Wade:
Can reads... Blackberries, water and natural sugars. No preservatives.

Rocky:
Thanks for the come back. I was wonderin but fairly confident.

Those cans of Oregon Fruit Base sound like a good deal....I got Vintners Harvest Blackberry in the 96oz can and thought it was very short on fruit and heavy on liquid [of one sort or another] I added two bottles of WinExpert Red Grape Concentrate and made a nice batch of wine.

The Vintners Harvest Black Currant was nice and thick and full of fruit, it made a wonderful wine that everyone here raves about. So, I think the Vintners fruit bases vary in consistency....some might be thicker and have more fruit in them than others.

Keep us Posted on your wine...

We had the same experience with Vintner's Harvest. The Raspberry was full of fruit and juice, the apricot had very little fruit and was mostly juice. We were still able to make wonderful wines from both.

I made my first batch of Country Wine a week or so ago. I used the Vintner's Harvest Blackberry. I also thought it was quite short on fruit and heavy on liquid... what's up with that?

The Black Currant contains no fruit at all, but Im not looking for the fruit, just the flavor. Like getting a MM All Juice Kit, most dont come with raisins but it still makes an awesome wine. Like George says, its not the fruit that makes a good wine, its the juice. The Vintners Harvest bases are in most cases better juice then you can get at any grocery store, but not as good as out of your back yard or from a really good fruit stand. Most fruit at grocery stands were picked early some where else and shipped early hoping that it will reach ripeness as it gets to where it was going. There is a huge difference in that method vs. waiting for it to get ripe on the tree or vine.

i had the black current from wade and excellent product but if you feel at times its not fruity enought make an f/pac ,if possible consentrated it down,and addit in the end bost the flavor,enhance aroma,even frozen fruit is available in most cases,think out side the box,taste ,taste even before creation,i will try the black current it was that good!

Handyman,

I just drank the last of a 6 gal batch of mixed tart & sweet cherry wine from those cans. It was pretty darn good.

As I understand it, the cans read Contents: blackberries and blackberry juice. No water added.
Hey folks. The cansread, 3 gallon and 5 gallon recipes and the 5 gallon says "lighter" right on the label.
That to me, implies if you stretch one can to 5 or more gallons, it's gonna be light on fruit.
That's why I buy two cans. That makes a frightfully, full bodied, rich flavored wine.

Seems like a good deal to me.

I agree that that 2 should be used per 6 gallon batch. I wish I had done that instead of being cheap and stretching the 1's i did in the beginning but that is over now. I did have to add concentrated juice when back sweetening to get back some flavor on those batches.

I went out today in the 41 degree, North Carolinadrizzle (that feels like 20 degrees) andcleared 8, two foot diameter circles of grassin the back yard in preparation of planting my 8, Lowe's (Let's do something together) blackberry plants.
I'll continue this string in the "Home Vinyards" section as I go along in my novice gardeners notesif anybodies interested.

Happy wining!!!

Latest posts

Back