Blackberry wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scokat

Junior
Reaction score
I picked 25 lbs of blackberries out of the back pasture, i made 5 lbs into jelly. Does anyone have a good blackberry wine recipe they can recommend.

welcome,
Look under RECIPIES and look for Wades Blackberries recipe. Suggests 5-6#'s per gallon so 20#'s = 3 gallons. Try to get more for a f-pac as well.

Blackberry makes a very, very good dry wine.

4#/gallon is sufficient, I've found it doesn't matter that much, ripeness has more impact than anything else.

I'm going picking tomorrow, 2nd weekend in August is always the start of picking in the pacific NW. I could dig out my recipe, but it really is simple:

~24lb berries (assume 6ish gallons)
3 tsp (I think) pectic enzyme
tannin (follow package directions) Don't skip this or you will wonder why the wine is so flat.
water & sugar
6 campden tablets
6 tsp yeast nutrient
I usually blindly add acid blend, 6 tsp for this recipe, but you should take a reading and adjust it.
Some red wine yeast, I usually use some lalvin k1-v1116, but I don't think it matters that much.

Blackberry wine is very forgiving and you do not want to sweeten it, it is much better dry. I can always hit .990 with blackberry and I usually let it age 8 months before drinking.

Blackberry wine has been, to date, my favorite of all the wine I've made. I've made two batches using frozen blackberries, 3# per gallon, and I've never sweetened it past 1.002. I made breakfast for dinner - eggs, grits, bacon, and toast - and it paired VERY well ;) My third batch I am thinking about upping to 4# per gallon and using an F-pac just so I can compare the difference. A lot of people on here seem sold on the idea of double the fruit per gallon, but I'm going to work my way up slowly. Want to try something fantastic? Make a batch of No-Age Sweet Mead and mix half and half. Oh yeah.

Back