Blackberry to anaerobic

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timber

Reaction score
Wow, that primary sure went quick!
I started the primary on the 21st and it reached a SG of 0.090 this morning (24th).

Racked to secondary but got quite a bit of yeast along with the wine.
Need more practice at the transfer (racking) process, there is no doubt.
Ended up with 1 gal. glass jug, 1 liter bottle and 1 350mL bottle (last mostly yeast and sediment).

Airlocks on two larger of the above and cotton in the last.
Looks good to have it in glass now.

I'm pretty surprised by how quick and how thoroughly the yeast ate up the sugars. Strong alcohol smell and taste, a little weak on flavor right now. (Premere Cuvee definitely works as advertised).
(I suppose this is due, in great part, to my adding water to the primary, I will be adding less or none to future berry wines).

So I keep the temp. near 72°F and rack again in 10 days, right?

Last edited:
Wow, that primary sure went quick!
I started the primary on the 21st and it reached a SG of 0.090 this morning (24th).

Racked to secondary but got quite a bit of yeast along with the wine.
Need more practice at the transfer (racking) process, there is no doubt.
Ended up with 1 gal. glass jug, 1 liter bottle and 1 350mL bottle (last mostly yeast and sediment).

Airlocks on two larger of the above and cotton in the last.
Looks good to have it in glass now.

I'm pretty surprised by how quick and how thoroughly the yeast ate up the sugars. Strong alcohol smell and taste, a little weak on flavor right now. (Premere Cuvee definitely works as advertised).
(I suppose this is due, in great part, to my adding water to the primary, I will be adding less or none to future berry wines).

So I keep the temp. near 72°F and rack again in 10 days, right?

Actually, you should wait until your SG is the same for 3 consecutive days and then rack it. Good Luck!!

Your Specific Gravity Reading is bothering me. It can't be 0.090. It is either 0.990 or 1.090 the first is okay the second you racked way to soon. It could go dry in three days in idea conditions, however fermenting that fast is not always a good thing. A fast fermentation can take a lot of the flavor with the gases. If you are SURE it is at 0.990 than add K-meta (Campden) and degas it, that will help the rest of the yeast fall. If the SG is 1.090 put it all back in the primary and keep going, if this is the case DO NOT add K-meta (Campden) as it will stun the yeast.

Last edited:
yeah, .990 is what it has to be and with smaller batches they can go very fast!! Ive seen a 1 gallon batch go dry in 1 day myself.

Yes, Small volume primaries can ferment very quickly. This will happen most times because you are using a amount of yeast intended fro 5 or 6 gallons.

Yes, SG = 0.990
Dang decimal point got away with me there.

I have Campden tablet, Kmeta and/or Potassium Sorbate.

What do you suggest now, 1 Campden?
I have a gram scale now so am able to add the proper amount of Kmeta if that's better than a Campden tablet.

I'll read about finishing ... but I'm not sure if that's where I am right now.
It will be good to be able to get the lees and yeast to settle.

My 350mL bottle has about 1/3 yeast still floating but I wanted to try to get what wine I could from the bottom of the primary. Gallon and liter bottles are still bubbling at the airlock.
Not sure how I'm going to separate the small bottle unless the yeast dies and sinks.

Thanks,

Last edited:
I would let it sit there for thrity days then you can be fairly sure your sg is at .999 or less at that time check it three days in a row and if you get the same reading it is dry then rack off the lees then let it sit another thrith day and do the same don't rush it

Thanks for the assist, sounds good ... patience.
Merry X-mas!

Latest posts

Back