blackberry recipe?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linda0210

Junior
Reaction score
I had bought a bottle of blackberry wine this summer that was absolutely divine so....it's time to see if I can make one. Don't have access to fresh fruit so would be using one of the purees/concentrates
I do have 1 gallon stabilizing, from the small cans of Oregon Fruit- got them from Wal-Mart - it's ok but not what I remember in terms of flavor.

Does anyone have a recipe that they would recommend either using the larger cans of Oregon puree or Vitner's fruit base?

I seem to remember postings from someone who had made a killer recipe and George had a run on the ingredients? I cna't find it!!!

Help!!!

I think you might be thinking of the Black Currant. That is the only one that I remember George having a run on.

The cans of the Vinter's Harvest come with recipes. I'm making a Black Currant at the moment. It's still in primary.

I believe they sell Blackberry as well.

EDIT: Yes, George carries Blackberry as well as Black CurrantEdited by: sangwitch

I had made a batch of Blackberry Wine last year out of wild Blackberries that I had steam juice extracted a few years ago to make pancake syrup and jellies...once I got into winemaking I looked at those jars of juice in a different way...the wine was very nice...I mixed Red Grape Concentrate with the juice.

Yesterday I mixed up a batch with Vintners Harvest Fruit Base...I used one can and 2 bottles of WinExpert Red Grape Concentrate....I was a bit disappointed as the can was pretty much just fruit and juice....

Guess I expected it to be a reduced Pureé like the Vintners Harvest Black Currant seemed to be....I was wishing I would have used 2 cans for the 5 gallon batch....Or just made a 3 gallon batch

BUT...remember, I was just tasting the must...will add the yeast today....So am sure that the fruit will break down in the straining bag and add more flavor.

Just thinking it was thin .....to get a bit more flavor I added 1 quart of each of steam extracted Raspberry and Chokecherry juices...so my recipe will not be like a true Blackberry wine from Vintners Harvest Fruit Base....They have recipes on the can...that I did follow for the Black Currant...tho as usual I did add Red Grape Concentrate...I do that to all my fruit wines for added body.

Give a batch a try..think it will be a good one.Edited by: Northern Winos

Wade - I can't remember!!!! But I do remember the run.Hopefully George will chime in.
Northern Winos - I haven't tried anything of either Orgeon OR Vintners other than the small Oregon cans that are fruit in light syrup - my 1 gallon batches are a case of trial and error,sometimes good, sometimes just a 'blending wine' and I'm just afraid of making 3 gallons of something that ends up.....well, while blendable, not so good by itself!

So you like the Vintners cans? I really really want to try the Blackberry!!!!

Was pretty tasty bmorosco ....but tastes even better now
smiley4.gif

I've made a couple of batches now with frozen blackberries from Walmart. Both turned out simply great.

Have 6 blackberry plants started in my back yard, 3 of which are second year plants and will start giving me some berries this year. Can't wait to try fresh homegrown berries.

I like Terry Garey's recipe and my last batch was a gallon
20070616_102332_Picture_002.jpg

This was bottled in clear bottles so the color is great! Tasted great too!

Pete

Yes I did Waldo. I like my blackberry dry with just a slight residual sweetness. More to give it more mouth feel than sweetness, if you know what I mean.

Pete

Latest posts

Back