Blackberry Port 2007

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea baby, thats a healthy ferment you got goin on!
16_4_35.gif
You might not want to use the airlock on these batches or the pressure could build and blow!
12_1_112.gif

I had to remove a couple of liters more so it won't over flow again. It was overflowing every hour before. This is why I ferment them at lower temps at the beginning. Once it settles down a bit (in a couple of days), I'll turn the heat up so the yeast will be happy and go to 20%ABV.

WoHooooooooooo........You gonna have a great one buddy. I can smell that from here !!!!

Well came home after a long hard day at work just to find out the kids have been playing hard all day in their rooms........... MAKING A MESS!!!!!!!

20070924_171245_100_2686_resize.JPG

20070924_171401_100_2687_resize.JPG

20070924_171544_100_2688_resize.JPG

20070924_171636_100_2689_resize.JPG

20070924_171733_100_2690_resize.JPG

Here's a good reason why I ferment in a low temperature environment at the beginning. The room is at 68 degrees and the fermenter is at 72...... Can you imagine what color my room would be if the temp was 77?

All I can say is it better be worth the effort! ............ I know it will be
smiley9.gif

You call that a mess? Geez you and Wade should never meet. The balance of the world may be altered since you both are so neat!
smiley2.gif
Maybe we should start a new"My biggest mess thread" highlighting pictures of big messes. I bet there are tons of them much worse than that Jobe.

Love the color by the way. I can taste it from here!

I missed the pictures of the ceiling...... Walls 4 to 5 feet away, and the carpeted floor..... But the carpet is 1 foot scares that lock together like a puzzle, so I can pull those up, wash and put back piece by piece.

It does smell good thou........ Of course, now the whole house smells good.

Like I said Jobe, you better pull out those airlocks for awhile as they are holding back to much pressure and then they spray, then repeat.

Well I got the babies all cleaned up and fed up to 1.070 and 1.075 again. I'm going out of town for a couple of days and they will be left alone. If they ferment to 1.000 at this point they will be at 19%ABV, at that point I'll feed them a little bit, maybe 1/2 to 3/4 pounds of sugar at a time till if fizzles out. As I recall the last couple of times I did this it took several weeks to get that last bit of alcohol out of the yeast.

As a side note: The strawberry is absolutely awesome right now. Based on my calculation starting SG was 1.120 now it's 1.050 so right now Im at about 9.5% ABV. I added .015 more in sugar which if finishes at 1.00 will be 18% ABV. Im very pleased with this since it's my first strawberry (port) ad so far is coming out just as I envisioned it would taste, very creamy with a slight bite from the acid and alcohol......... I like it.

What was the abv on the 1st batch buddy? Didnt know you alread had 1 strawberry port under your belt. Did it hide the high abv?

I haven't ever done a Strawberry, this is my first. I think the Malt does hide the ABV a lot, if not ides it, it blends it better with the fruit as you have discovered with the Blackberry. I also have a peach that has really no odor, but has wonderful flavor as well.

So right now, all the "Port" Style wines I have is:

12 Gallons Blackberry
3 Gallons strawberry
3 gallons Peach

Up next: 3 gallons blueberry style port, Prickly Pear wine and jelly, Now that I now that I have JW as an experienced taste tester, 3 gallons elderberry, 5 gallons pumpkin.

Pumpkin huh, that sounds good for next Thanksgiving! Are you going to make some or all of that sweet.

I prefer a fruit wine, or wine like pumpkin to e a little on the sweeter side, not dry. I couldn't imagine the ginger flavor and the nutmeg etc.. in a dry wine. so sweet it is.

Racked the Blackberry Port Last weekend and added some more (about 2 ounces per 6 gal) Hungarian oak shavings. I like the Hungarian oak, it leaves a nice smoky taste but not a cheap plywood taste like some oaks do.

I racked the Strawberry also...... This is exactly how I wanted it to come out, it's perfect so far. It has just the right amount of acid bite along with that really creamy flavor from the Malt. It's at about 13.5 % ABV right now, I figure it will go to about 15% and I leave it at that and back sweeten with a bottle of Grape concentrate and if I want it sweeter, then sugar water.

Also Bottled a gallon of Dandelion wine that my son Timmy started last spring and has since given up on it...... I have to say, after all the bad press I have read on Dandelion, I'm rather impressed at this wine. It has a great Lemon taste with a mild Dandelion taste to back that up. It's rather sweet but should make a great dessert type wine. I'll see what it's like next year.

Latest posts

Back