Blackberry..need more help!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fish1onthefly

Reaction score
well I started my first fresh fruit wine this weekend. I picked 10/lbs of blackberrys and have a 2 gal batch. I added yeast last night and waiting for it to kick off.
I want a dry wine and had a startting sg of 1.080. Any tricks to keep as much blackberry flavor as possibile?Edited by: fish1onthefly

What yeast did you use? There really are no tricks at this point. You have a sufficient amount of blackberries in there to have a decent flavor so all looks good.

I have understood that using 5-6 lbs of berries and keeping the Alc content down to around 11% is the best way for good flavor. I have read many places that high alc 12% and higher seems to hide flavors. I made a 4 lb/ gal batch at 13 % alc and the blackberry flavor is VERY thin. My next batch i used 6 lbs/ gal and shot for 11.25 % Alc, but it is aging and i haven't tasted it yet after 4 months......

I used Red star Cote des Blancsyeast..mixed it up the day before when I did the sodium meta on the raw fruit waited the 24 hours and added.....Day # 2 and no activity??? I have itat about 75 degrees but nothing yet?? Any tricks to jump start the ferment? I thought I might put it outside tommrow as temps are getting into the high 80's..... Edited by: fish1onthefly

You'll want to keep it inside. 75 is a good temp to ferment it at, 70 would be even better. Give it some more time and be patient.A couplequestions though, what was the date on the yeast? Did you use camden tabs, ect. and if so did you wait 24 hours before pitching? Montchachet would probably been a better choice of yeast. I've had a few batches that took up to 3 days to start and if I remember right Cotes doesn't foam much as it is. Good luck and keep us posted.
Pete

I would wait till early day three and see what happens. Some yeasts take a little bit to get started. I wouldn't wait much longer than that though. Blackberry is generally easy to start. If nothing tomorrow morning I would throw in some more yeast maybe using a starter mix. I personally would stick with the cotes des blanc yeast or Lalvin 71B or RC 212 yeast. Lalvin 71 B will bring down acid content a little if it is too high... That comes in quite handy with blackberries. I have read that these are the most common to use to bring out what your looking for. Edited by: touchtoomuch

Day 3 no activity! I did use sodium meta and waited 24 hours.. I have been stiring and caught a little wiff of sulfer this afternoon so maybe it has not all disipated. I stirred it pretty good this afternoon.
I will wait one more day and then restart with a starter mix. I did mix up the yeast and nutrent for a day before adding the first time. This yeast is fresh so it should work!! Edited by: fish1onthefly

Have you checked the SG to see if it has moved any? Thisyeast is not only slow to start, but it's a quiet ferment that doesn't foam much, if at all. You can usually see or hear fizzing if you get down close to it. If the SG is heading south, then you should be off and running, if not it may be time for one of the experts to step in with some advice. Good Luck!

Another thought...how much Na Meta did you use? for two gallons should have only been 2 campden tablets or if using powder should have been less than 1/8 tsp. Just wondering, because that could be a potential problem too.Edited by: WineNewbie

I put a full tsp......That may be my problem!
Can I disipate by doing a de-gassing type stir on the juice?

That is the problem. Way too much Na-Meta. Yes, stir it vigorously for several times. You will also need to pitch more yeast- you killed the first batch. It only takes 1/4 tsp of na-meta or k-meta per 5-6 gallon batch. You might even need to make a starter to get the yeast going.

Thanks everyone...I consider it part of the learning curve. I hope by posting my "little problem" some one may benifit. I sure have learned a lot reading here.
How many times should I stir before I start the new yeast?
I thought I would keep after it every 30 min or so while the round ball playoffs are on tonight and start the yeast tommrow....
What do you think?
.....UPDATE......................
I stired several times with the drill last night. Mixed up the yeast starter last night too..Added it this morning and it looks like things are back on track this afternoon..Bubble, Bubble, I am out of trouble!
smiley32.gif
Edited by: fish1onthefly

Good deal Bud,
I'm glad it's picking up. Wish I had thought to ask ya how much Meta you had used. Probably could hve saved ya a day or so...lol. Thats why I use Campden tabs, Saves me from having to think...1 per gal...lol. Keep up the good work, Blackberry is a wonderful wine!

Pete

I keep both on hand, campden for the real small jobs and k-meta for the bigger jobs and N-Meta for sanitizing. I also have Star San and Iodophor for the beer making.
smiley5.gif

Latest posts

Back